# Will technology shape our future or will we | Deborah Nas | TEDxAlkmaar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j648moM5j0w
Translation: zh-TW

[00:07] Will technology shape our future?
  科技會塑造我們的未來嗎？

[00:09] Will technology shape our future or will we?
  是科技塑造我們的未來，還是我們塑造我們的未來？

[00:11] or will we?
  還是我們塑造我們的未來？

[00:14] I think Marshall McLuhan's insight from the 1960s is still relevant today.
  我認為馬歇爾·麥克魯漢在 1960 年代的見解在今天仍然具有相關性。

[00:18] We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.
  我們塑造我們的工具，然後我們的工具塑造我們。

[00:23] Radio and TV broadened our worldview.
  廣播和電視拓寬了我們的世界觀。

[00:26] Mobile devices and the internet changed when, where, and how we work.
  移動設備和互聯網改變了我們工作時間、地點和方式。

[00:31] Cars expanded our habitat and planes made our global travelers.
  汽車擴大了我們的棲息地，飛機讓我們成為全球旅行者。

[00:35] Technology creates many new possibilities.
  科技創造了許多新的可能性。

[00:39] But unfortunately, it is also destructive.
  但不幸的是，它也具有破壞性。

[00:42] Transportation pollutes our air.
  交通污染了我們的空氣。

[00:45] Electronic devices create huge amounts of electronic waste.
  電子設備產生了大量的電子垃圾。

[00:50] And digital technologies gave rise to big tech companies and sophisticated surveillance systems.
  而數字技術催生了大型科技公司和複雜的監控系統。

[00:54] And it won't be long before we have to deal with the consequences of transformational technologies like AI and quantum.
  而且用不了多久，我們就必須應對像人工智能和量子計算這樣的變革性技術的後果。

[01:04] Now, we often feel that technology just happens to us, that we have no control
  現在，我們常常覺得科技只是發生在我們身上，我們無法控制

[01:08] happens to us, that we have no control over it.
  發生在我们身上，是我们无法控制的。

[01:11] But technology doesn't create itself.
  但科技並非憑空產生。

[01:13] It's humans that create technology.
  是人類創造了科技。

[01:15] More specifically, it's a small group of people that take the lead.
  更具體地說，是一小群人帶頭。

[01:17] They are the technology optimists.
  他們是科技樂觀主義者。

[01:21] And I'm one of them.
  我也是其中之一。

[01:22] Or at least, I used to be one of them.
  或者至少，我曾經是其中之一。

[01:25] I think I'm a technology optimist having an identity crisis.
  我認為我是一個正在經歷身份認同危機的科技樂觀主義者。

[01:31] I first thought differently about technology a few years after having kids.
  幾年前，在有了孩子之後，我開始對科技有了不同的看法。

[01:33] Meet my sons, Ramsey and Jordan.
  認識一下我的兒子，Ramsey 和 Jordan。

[01:36] And especially Jordan is this boy with an exceptional talent for anything digital.
  尤其是 Jordan，這個男孩對任何數位產品都擁有非凡的天賦。

[01:37] As a baby, he became physically wild when he saw my iPhone.
  嬰兒時期，當他看到我的 iPhone 時，他會變得異常興奮。

[01:40] At the age of two, he knew how to switch Wi-Fi networks if he had a slow connection.
  兩歲時，如果 Wi-Fi 連接緩慢，他就會知道如何切換 Wi-Fi 網絡。

[01:42] And at the age of three, he knew what he wanted to become in life, a YouTube star.
  三歲時，他已經知道自己長大後想成為什麼，一個 YouTube 紅人。

[01:44] And if you have kids, you might recognize the situation.
  如果你有孩子，你可能會認出這種情況。

[01:47] Your first going to take your picture with mommy and then you'll get your ice cream.
  你首先會和媽媽合照，然後你就會得到你的冰淇淋。

[01:49] But in any other situation, it looked like this.
  但在任何其他情況下，看起來就像這樣。

[01:51] And I was like a mobile electronic store
  而我就像一個移動電子商店

[02:09] And I was like a mobile electronic store carrying iPads, game consoles, batteries, extra headsets.
  我就像一個移動的電子商店，攜帶著 iPad、遊戲機、電池、額外的耳機。

[02:11] carrying iPads, game consoles, batteries, extra headsets.
  攜帶著 iPad、遊戲機、電池、額外的耳機。

[02:14] You name it and I had it with me.
  你說得出的，我都有。

[02:16] And although I facilitated this as a mom, I was deeply worried at the same time.
  雖然我作為一個母親這樣做，但同時我也非常擔心。

[02:18] And although I facilitated this as a mom, I was deeply worried at the same time.
  雖然我作為一個母親這樣做，但同時我也非常擔心。

[02:20] mom, I was deeply worried at the same time.
  母親，我同時也非常擔心。

[02:22] time. What does it do to his eyes? Will he need glasses soon?
  時間。這對他的眼睛有什麼影響？他很快就需要戴眼鏡了嗎？

[02:24] What does it do to his eyes? Will he need glasses soon?
  這對他的眼睛有什麼影響？他很快就需要戴眼鏡了嗎？

[02:27] need glasses soon? How about his brains? Are some of the games maybe too violent?
  很快就需要戴眼鏡了嗎？他的大腦呢？有些遊戲會不會太暴力了？

[02:29] How about his brains? Are some of the games maybe too violent?
  他的大腦呢？有些遊戲會不會太暴力了？

[02:31] games maybe too violent? And does he have enough friends? How are his social skills developing?
  遊戲會不會太暴力了？他有足夠的朋友嗎？他的社交技能發展得怎麼樣？

[02:33] have enough friends? How are his social skills developing?
  有足夠的朋友嗎？他的社交技能發展得怎麼樣？

[02:35] skills developing? As a mother, I want to limit his screen time and force him to play outside as I did as a little kid.
  技能發展？作為一個母親，我想限制他的螢幕時間，並強迫他像我小時候一樣到外面玩。

[02:37] As a mother, I want to limit his screen time and force him to play outside as I did as a little kid.
  作為一個母親，我想限制他的螢幕時間，並強迫他像我小時候一樣到外面玩。

[02:39] time and force him to play outside as I did as a little kid. But I also have another role in life.
  時間並強迫他像我小時候一樣到外面玩。但我在生活中還有另一個角色。

[02:41] did as a little kid. But I also have another role in life.
  小時候一樣。但我在生活中還有另一個角色。

[02:44] another role in life. In my professional life, I'm a part-time professor at the Delft University of Technology and I work with companies to speed up technological innovation.
  生活中的另一個角色。在我的職業生涯中，我是代爾夫特理工大學的兼職教授，並與公司合作以加速技術創新。

[02:45] life, I'm a part-time professor at the Delft University of Technology and I work with companies to speed up technological innovation.
  生涯中，我是代爾夫特理工大學的兼職教授，並與公司合作以加速技術創新。

[02:47] Delft University of Technology and I work with companies to speed up technological innovation.
  代爾夫特理工大學，並與公司合作以加速技術創新。

[02:49] work with companies to speed up technological innovation.
  與公司合作以加速技術創新。

[02:51] technological innovation. Looking at Jordan as an innovation professional, I have a very different perspective.
  技術創新。從一個創新專業人士的角度來看喬丹，我有非常不同的看法。

[02:53] Looking at Jordan as an innovation professional, I have a very different perspective.
  從一個創新專業人士的角度來看喬丹，我有非常不同的看法。

[02:55] professional, I have a very different perspective.
  專業人士，我有非常不同的看法。

[02:56] perspective. I see his affinity and his talent for digital technologies and I feel I should nurture this talent and facilitate him to become whoever he wants to be.
  看法。我看到了他對數位科技的親和力和才能，我覺得我應該培養這種才能，並幫助他成為他想成為的人。

[02:59] I see his affinity and his talent for digital technologies and I feel I should nurture this talent and facilitate him to become whoever he wants to be.
  我看到了他對數位科技的親和力和才能，我覺得我應該培養這種才能，並幫助他成為他想成為的人。

[03:01] digital technologies and I feel I should nurture this talent and facilitate him to become whoever he wants to be.
  數位科技，我覺得我應該培養這種才能，並幫助他成為他想成為的人。

[03:03] nurture this talent and facilitate him to become whoever he wants to be.
  培養這種才能，並幫助他成為他想成為的人。

[03:06] to become whoever he wants to be. And this put me in a very interesting position because as a professional, I
  成為他想成為的人。這讓我處於一個非常有趣的境地，因為作為一個專業人士，我

[03:08] And this put me in a very interesting position because as a professional, I
  這讓我處於一個非常有趣的境地，因為作為一個專業人士，我

[03:10] position because as a professional, I observed my feelings as a mother with interest.
  立場，因為作為一個專業人士，我以母親的身份觀察我的感受，並產生了興趣。

[03:14] And I wondered, what am I afraid of?
  我想知道，我在害怕什麼？

[03:17] And it triggered a research and I found that there's a historical consistency to how people have worried and how they expressed these worries about technological innovation.
  這引發了一項研究，我發現人們如何擔憂以及如何表達對技術創新的擔憂，這在歷史上一直是一致的。

[03:27] Basically, humans have feared technology since writing was the latest thing.
  基本上，自從文字出現以來，人類就一直害怕技術。

[03:33] Greek philosophers argued that writing would be bad for our brains.
  希臘哲學家認為書寫對我們的大腦有害。

[03:37] If we would write everything down, we don't have to remember things.
  如果我們把所有東西都寫下來，我們就不用記住事情了。

[03:40] It would instill forgetfulness in our minds and make our knowledge superficial.
  這會在我們心中灌輸健忘，使我們的知識變得膚淺。

[03:44] Fast forward to the printing press when the upper class feared that books would spread rebellious and irreligious thoughts amongst the common people.
  快轉到印刷術時代，當時上層階級擔心書籍會在民眾中傳播叛逆和不敬神的思想。

[03:53] They feared they would lose lose control over what was being printed.
  他們擔心會失去對印刷內容的控制。

[03:58] Newspapers would hurt social fabric of society because until then, people physically came together to learn about the news and talk about it.
  報紙會損害社會結構，因為直到那時，人們都是親自聚集在一起了解新聞並討論它。

[04:06] But with a newspaper, people would be in their home by themselves reading about the news.
  但有了報紙，人們會獨自在家裡閱讀新聞。

[04:12] by themselves reading about the news.
  他們自己閱讀新聞。

[04:15] Cinemas would demoralize society.
  電影院會敗壞社會風氣。

[04:17] The TV generation would never learn how to read or write well.
  電視世代將永遠學不會如何好好閱讀或書寫。

[04:18] And when the internet arrived, we saw the most bizarre headlines.
  當網際網路出現時，我們看到了最離奇的標題。

[04:23] The internet was bad for everything.
  網際網路對萬事萬物都不好。

[04:26] One of the things being it would make our knowledge more superficial.
  其中一件事是它會讓我們的知識變得更膚淺。

[04:28] This time because you would jump from article to article without an interest in reading longer pieces.
  這次是因為你會從一篇文章跳到另一篇文章，而沒有興趣閱讀較長的文章。

[04:34] And these are just a few examples.
  這些只是一些例子。

[04:37] But we see similar arguments recurring over and over again.
  但我們看到類似的論點一再重複出現。

[04:42] Loss of cognitive cognitive and physical abilities, loss of social skill, loss of morale, and loss of control being the most prominent ones.
  認知能力和體能的喪失、社交技能的喪失、士氣的喪失，以及控制力的喪失是最突出的。

[04:50] When we envision societal change through technology, we tend to frame it in terms of loss.
  當我們設想透過科技實現社會變革時，我們傾向於將其歸因於損失。

[04:59] Let's look at an example.
  讓我們來看一個例子。

[05:01] If you enjoyed playing with LEGO as a kid, chances are you'd rather see your children or grandchildren play with LEGO over a digital game like Minecraft.
  如果你小時候喜歡玩樂高，那麼你的孩子或孫子孫女很可能會選擇玩樂高而不是像當個創世神這樣的數位遊戲。

[05:08] Most people immediately point out what you lose when you move to the digital world,
  大多數人會立刻指出，當你轉向數位世界時，你會失去什麼，

[05:12] lose when you move to the digital world, fine motor skills and 3D insight.
  在轉向數位世界時失去，精細動作技能和三維洞察力。

[05:15] Kids fine motor skills and 3D insight.
  孩子們的精細動作技能和三維洞察力。

[05:17] Kids gain another type of fine motor skills and 3D insight in the digital world, but
  孩子們在數位世界中獲得另一種精細動作技能和三維洞察力，但是

[05:19] if you're not familiar with those yourself, you tend to judge them as less valuable.
  如果你不熟悉這些，你傾向於認為它們價值較低。

[05:22] valuable.
  有價值的。

[05:24] You may be even never mastered or tried Minecraft, essentially it's a digital LEGO.
  你甚至可能從未掌握或嘗試過 Minecraft，本質上它是一個數位樂高。

[05:28] You can mine all sorts of materials and then craft any object you like.
  你可以挖掘各種材料，然後製作任何你喜歡的物體。

[05:32] And because it's a digital world, possibilities are endless.
  因為它是一個數位世界，可能性是無限的。

[05:34] If you make a rational comparison between the two, Minecraft comes out really well.
  如果你對兩者進行理性比較，Minecraft 的表現確實很好。

[05:39] Nevertheless, we stick to our preference for LEGO because we tend to choose what we understand and value and are familiar with.
  儘管如此，我們仍然偏愛樂高，因為我們傾向於選擇我們理解、重視和熟悉的。

[05:48] And if you didn't grow up with digital games, you're often prejudiced.
  如果你沒有在數位遊戲中長大，你常常會帶有偏見。

[05:50] It's bad for your eyes, it's bad for your brain, and worst of all, you can get addicted and that will put you in social isolation.
  它對你的眼睛不好，對你的大腦不好，最糟糕的是，你會上癮，這會讓你陷入社交孤立。

[05:57] And Steven Johnson came up with a brilliant thought experiment saying,
  史蒂芬·詹森提出了一個絕妙的思想實驗，他說，

[06:00] what if books were invented after video games?
  如果書籍是在電子遊戲之後發明的呢？

[06:03] So try to imagine for a moment there are no books, no newspapers, no magazines.
  所以試著想像一下，有一段時間沒有書，沒有報紙，沒有雜誌。

[06:07] You do not read.
  你不閱讀。

[06:09] But you do play video
  但你確實玩電子遊戲

[06:14] You do not read. But you do play video games.
  你不閱讀。但你會玩電子遊戲。

[06:16] games. All of all the time and everybody around
  遊戲。所有時間裡，周圍的每個人

[06:18] All of all the time and everybody around you does it, it's a normal thing to do.
  所有時間裡，周圍的每個人都在玩，這是很正常的事。

[06:20] you does it, it's a normal thing to do. And all of a sudden, books are invented
  都在玩，這是很正常的事。突然之間，書本被發明了

[06:22] And all of a sudden, books are invented and kids love it and they start reading
  突然之間，書本被發明了，孩子們喜歡它，他們開始閱讀

[06:24] and kids love it and they start reading like crazy.
  孩子們喜歡它，他們開始瘋狂地閱讀。

[06:26] like crazy. What would we say?
  瘋狂地閱讀。我們會說什麼？

[06:29] What would we say? Chances are we would say it's bad for
  我們會說什麼？很有可能我們會說這對

[06:30] Chances are we would say it's bad for your brain because a game, it's a rich
  很有可能我們會說這對你的大腦不好，因為遊戲是一種豐富的

[06:33] your brain because a game, it's a rich multimedia experience triggering all
  多媒體體驗，觸發你大腦的所有部分。而書本只不過是

[06:35] multimedia experience triggering all parts of your brain. And a book is just
  多媒體體驗，觸發你大腦的所有部分。而書本只不過是

[06:37] parts of your brain. And a book is just words on a page.
  大腦的所有部分。而書本只不過是紙上的文字。

[06:39] words on a page. It's bad for creativity and leadership
  紙上的文字。這對創造力和領導力有害

[06:41] It's bad for creativity and leadership because in a game, you learn how to
  這對創造力和領導力有害，因為在遊戲中，你學會如何

[06:42] because in a game, you learn how to explore, you learn about leadership, but
  因為在遊戲中，你學會如何探索，你學會領導力，但在書本中，

[06:45] explore, you learn about leadership, but in a book, there's no other option than
  探索，你學會領導力，但在書本中，別無選擇，只能

[06:47] in a book, there's no other option than following the plot.
  別無選擇，只能跟隨情節。

[06:49] following the plot. And last but not least, it will put you
  跟隨情節。最後但同樣重要的是，這會讓你

[06:50] And last but not least, it will put you in social isolation because a game you
  最後但同樣重要的是，這會讓你社交孤立，因為遊戲你可以

[06:52] in social isolation because a game you play with others, whether they're next
  社交孤立，因為遊戲你可以和別人一起玩，無論他們在你旁邊

[06:54] play with others, whether they're next to you on the other side of the world,
  和別人一起玩，無論他們在你旁邊還是在世界的另一端，

[06:55] to you on the other side of the world, it doesn't matter. But with a book, a
  在你旁邊還是在世界的另一端，都沒關係。但對於書本，一個

[06:57] it doesn't matter. But with a book, a kid would be in their room by themselves
  都沒關係。但對於書本，一個孩子會獨自待在房間裡

[06:59] kid would be in their room by themselves for hours and hours reading.
  獨自待在房間裡，閱讀數小時之久。

[07:02] for hours and hours reading. And this perfectly illustrates how your
  閱讀數小時之久。這完美地說明了你的

[07:05] And this perfectly illustrates how your frame of reference shapes your attitude
  這完美地說明了你的參考框架如何塑造你對

[07:08] frame of reference shapes your attitude toward do
  參考框架如何塑造你對

[07:09] toward do towards new technologies.
  新技術的態度。

[07:12] towards new technologies. And Douglas Adams, a science fiction
  新技術的態度。而道格拉斯·亞當斯，一位科幻

[07:14] And Douglas Adams, a science fiction writer, once brilliantly summarized
  而道格拉斯·亞當斯，一位科幻作家，曾妙語如珠地總結道

[07:16] writer, once brilliantly summarized what's happening here.
  作家曾妙語如珠地總結了這裡正在發生的事情。

[07:18] He said, what's happening here.
  他說，這裡正在發生什麼事。

[07:21] He said, "Everything you grew up with is a normal part of the world, nothing new.
  他說：「你從小到大所熟悉的一切都是世界正常的一部分，沒有什麼新鮮事。

[07:23] Anything invented between age 15 and 35 is new and exciting and you can probably get a career out of it.
  任何在 15 歲到 35 歲之間發明的事物都是新穎且令人興奮的，你或許可以以此為職業。

[07:33] Anything invented after age 35 is against the natural order of things."
  任何在 35 歲之後發明的事物都違背了事物的自然規律。」

[07:37] Now, obviously, it's not this black and white and it doesn't go for everyone.
  現在，顯然這並非如此絕對，也不是適用於每個人。

[07:42] The technology optimists like me tend to focus on the benefits of new technologies even when they're older than 35.
  像我這樣的科技樂觀主義者傾向於關注新技術的好處，即使它們已經超過 35 歲了。

[07:51] But lately, I can't help myself feeling increasingly worried.
  但最近，我忍不住越來越感到擔憂。

[07:58] We apply algorithms to define if somebody can get a loan only to find out later that it unrightfully discriminates against certain groups.
  我們應用演算法來定義一個人是否能獲得貸款，卻發現後來它不當地歧視了某些群體。

[08:04] We let algorithms define what we see on social media influencing our political attitudes.
  我們讓演算法定義我們在社群媒體上看到什麼，影響我們的政治態度。

[08:11] And soon, we will have AI-driven virtual friends that know us so well that we fully trust them and follow their
  很快，我們將擁有由人工智慧驅動的虛擬朋友，他們如此了解我們，以至於我們完全信任他們並遵循他們的

[08:18] fully trust them and follow their advice.
  完全信任他們並聽從他們的建議。

[08:19] advice. Unaware of the political or commercial motives behind the algorithms that bring these virtual friends to life.
  建議。卻沒有意識到讓這些虛擬朋友栩栩如生的演算法背後，存在著政治或商業動機。

[08:27] these virtual friends to life. Looking ahead and taking into account the fast developments in AI, I am afraid that we will lose agency and control.
  這些虛擬朋友栩栩如生。展望未來，並考慮到人工智慧的快速發展，我擔心我們將失去自主權和控制權。

[08:37] I tell myself my fears are grounded, that things are different from the past.
  我告訴自己，我的恐懼是有根據的，事情與過去不同。

[08:42] that things are different from the past. Digital technologies are all around us and their inner workings are invisible.
  事情與過去不同。數位科技無處不在，而它們的內部運作是看不見的。

[08:46] and their inner inner workings are invisible. Big tech companies know everything about us and control what information we're being exposed to.
  它們的內部運作是看不見的。大型科技公司了解我們的一切，並控制我們所接觸到的資訊。

[08:51] us and control what information we're being exposed to. Startups with a mission to change the world for the better quickly change character after venture capitalists pump hundreds of millions of dollars into them, forcing them to quickly scale and monetize everything they know about their customers.
  我們所接觸到的資訊。那些以改變世界為使命的初創公司，在創投公司向它們注入數億美元後，很快就會改變其性質，迫使它們快速擴大規模並將它們所了解的客戶的一切變現。

[09:05] customers. Generative AI is interacting with us as if it's human, forcing us to rethink what is real and what is not.
  客戶。生成式 AI 正在與我們互動，就好像它是人類一樣，迫使我們重新思考什麼是真實的，什麼不是。

[09:15] I feel change is happening too fast and
  我感覺變化發生得太快了，而且

[09:18] I feel change is happening too fast and we can't oversee the longer-term consequences.
  我感覺變化發生得太快了，我們無法監督長期的後果。

[09:25] At the same time, I know that already in 1970, Alvin Toffler wrote about future shock being the anxiety brought on by too much change in too short a period of time.
  同時，我知道早在1970年，阿爾文·托夫勒就寫過關於未來衝擊，即在太短的時間內發生太多變化所帶來的焦慮。

[09:35] I know that my worries match historical arguments against technological innovations.
  我知道我的擔憂與反對技術創新的歷史論點相符。

[09:41] I know that I didn't grow grow up with AI, so my frame of reference probably informs my opinion about it, making me focus on what we lose instead of what we gain.
  我知道我沒有在人工智能的環境中長大，所以我的參考框架可能影響了我對它的看法，讓我關注我們失去的而不是我們得到的。

[09:54] This makes me wonder, am I falling prey to psychological processes I've been researching?
  這讓我想知道，我是否落入了自己一直在研究的心理過程的陷阱？

[10:00] Am I simply getting old? Is my frame of reference no longer fitting today's reality?
  我只是老了嗎？我的參考框架是否不再適合當今的現實？

[10:08] The truth is, I really don't know.
  事實是，我真的不知道。

[10:12] And in the past my life was simple. I was a technology optimist helping others to see the benefits of new technology.
  過去我的生活很簡單。我是一個科技樂觀主義者，幫助他人看到新技術的好處。

[10:19] to see the benefits of new technology.
  以看到新技術的好處。

[10:21] And now I'm in a process of recalibration trying to figure out if I should start warning people for the dangers that lie ahead.
  而現在我正在進行一個校準過程，試圖弄清楚我是否應該開始警告人們前方潛藏的危險。

[10:28] But one thing I do know, digital technologies are developing at lightning speed and we do not have the luxury to lie low.
  但有一件事我知道，數位技術正在以閃電般的速度發展，而我們沒有閒暇去潛伏。

[10:36] The technology optimists that work at tech companies that shape our world focus on the benefits of new technology and vastly underestimate their dangers and societal impact.
  那些在塑造我們世界的科技公司工作的科技樂觀主義者，專注於新技術的好處，並嚴重低估了它們的危險和社會影響。

[10:46] If we do nothing, tech companies are free to develop and apply technology as they like without any ethical or societal guidelines they must follow.
  如果我們什麼都不做，科技公司就可以隨心所欲地開發和應用技術，而無需遵守任何他們必須遵循的道德或社會準則。

[10:58] And while we're still struggling to deal with the implications of AI, figuring out if and how we can control it, we already need to start thinking about the next transformational technology, quantum.
  而當我們仍在努力應對人工智能的影響，弄清楚我們是否以及如何能夠控制它時，我們已經需要開始思考下一項變革性技術，量子。

[11:12] Quantum technology like quantum computers, we have the opportunity to think about the ethical, legal, and societal aspects
  像量子計算機這樣的量子技術，我們有機會思考其倫理、法律和社會方面

[11:22] the ethical, legal, and societal aspects before the technology leaves the lab and before the technology leaves the lab and is widely applied.
  倫理、法律和社會層面的考量，在技術離開實驗室並被廣泛應用之前。

[11:26] is widely applied.
  被廣泛應用。

[11:26] This is incredibly difficult though.
  然而，這極其困難。

[11:29] This is incredibly difficult though.
  然而，這極其困難。

[11:30] We can compare it to the invention of the laser.
  我們可以將其與雷射的發明做比較。

[11:33] Imagine for a moment that we are in 1960 and Ted Maiman just created the first working laser in his lab.
  想像一下，我們身處 1960 年，Ted Maiman 剛剛在他的實驗室創造出第一台可工作的雷射。

[11:36] the first working laser in his lab.
  第一台可工作的雷射在他的實驗室裡。

[11:39] This big bulky machine with a weak signal receptive to noise and at that point in time we're all try already trying to predict that decades later we will use lasers to cut through metal, print information on paper, operate on people's eyes, scan barcodes in supermarkets, or even use it as entertainment in dance parties.
  這台笨重的大機器，訊號微弱且容易受到雜訊干擾，而當時我們已經在試圖預測，幾十年後我們將使用雷射切割金屬、在紙上列印資訊、用於人們的眼睛手術、在超市掃描條碼，甚至將其用於舞會娛樂。

[11:41] big bulky machine with a weak signal receptive to noise and at that point in time we're all try already trying to predict that decades later we will use lasers to cut through metal, print information on paper, operate on people's eyes, scan barcodes in supermarkets, or even use it as entertainment in dance parties.
  這台笨重的大機器，訊號微弱且容易受到雜訊干擾，而當時我們已經在試圖預測，幾十年後我們將使用雷射切割金屬、在紙上列印資訊、用於人們的眼睛手術、在超市掃描條碼，甚至將其用於舞會娛樂。

[11:43] receptive to noise and at that point in time we're all try already trying to predict that decades later we will use lasers to cut through metal, print information on paper, operate on people's eyes, scan barcodes in supermarkets, or even use it as entertainment in dance parties.
  容易受到雜訊干擾，而當時我們已經在試圖預測，幾十年後我們將使用雷射切割金屬、在紙上列印資訊、用於人們的眼睛手術、在超市掃描條碼，甚至將其用於舞會娛樂。

[11:46] time we're all try already trying to predict that decades later we will use lasers to cut through metal, print information on paper, operate on people's eyes, scan barcodes in supermarkets, or even use it as entertainment in dance parties.
  當時我們已經在試圖預測，幾十年後我們將使用雷射切割金屬、在紙上列印資訊、用於人們的眼睛手術、在超市掃描條碼，甚至將其用於舞會娛樂。

[11:49] predict that decades later we will use lasers to cut through metal, print information on paper, operate on people's eyes, scan barcodes in supermarkets, or even use it as entertainment in dance parties.
  預測，幾十年後我們將使用雷射切割金屬、在紙上列印資訊、用於人們的眼睛手術、在超市掃描條碼，甚至將其用於舞會娛樂。

[11:51] lasers to cut through metal, print information on paper, operate on people's eyes, scan barcodes in supermarkets, or even use it as entertainment in dance parties.
  雷射切割金屬、在紙上列印資訊、用於人們的眼睛手術、在超市掃描條碼，甚至將其用於舞會娛樂。

[11:53] information on paper, operate on people's eyes, scan barcodes in supermarkets, or even use it as entertainment in dance parties.
  在紙上列印資訊、用於人們的眼睛手術、在超市掃描條碼，甚至將其用於舞會娛樂。

[11:55] people's eyes, scan barcodes in supermarkets, or even use it as entertainment in dance parties.
  人們的眼睛手術、在超市掃描條碼，甚至將其用於舞會娛樂。

[11:57] supermarkets, or even use it as entertainment in dance parties.
  超市掃描條碼，甚至將其用於舞會娛樂。

[12:00] entertainment in dance parties.
  舞會娛樂。

[12:00] It is almost impossible bordering on science fiction.
  這幾乎是不可能的，近乎科幻。

[12:02] It is almost impossible bordering on science fiction.
  這幾乎是不可能的，近乎科幻。

[12:04] science fiction.
  科幻。

[12:04] But nevertheless, we must try.
  但儘管如此，我們必須嘗試。

[12:08] But nevertheless, we must try.
  但儘管如此，我們必須嘗試。

[12:10] Because quantum is a transformational technology that will shape the future.
  因為量子是一項將塑造未來的變革性技術。

[12:13] technology that will shape the future.
  將塑造未來的技術。

[12:13] We're just not exactly sure yet how, when, where, and through which applications.
  我們只是還不確切知道如何、何時、何地以及透過哪些應用。

[12:15] We're just not exactly sure yet how, when, where, and through which applications.
  我們只是還不確切知道如何、何時、何地以及透過哪些應用。

[12:17] when, where, and through which applications.
  何時、何地以及透過哪些應用。

[12:19] applications.
  應用。

[12:19] We need to envision these future applications to understand its societal
  我們需要設想這些未來的應用，以了解其社會影響

[12:21] We need to envision these future applications to understand its societal
  我們需要設想這些未來的應用，以了解其社會影響

[12:23] applications to understand its societal impact.
  應用以理解其社會影響。

[12:25] We need to understand the impact.
  我們需要理解其影響。

[12:25] We need to understand the positive and the negative impact.
  我們需要理解其正面和負面的影響。

[12:29] positive and the negative impact.
  正面和負面的影響。

[12:31] To shape a future that we want to live in, we need to start a broad societal debate today.
  為了塑造我們想生活的未來，我們今天需要展開廣泛的社會辯論。

[12:39] And I'm lucky to have a role in this in the Netherlands thinking about the impact of quantum.
  我很幸運能在荷蘭參與其中，思考量子技術的影響。

[12:43] But all of you should have a role in it, too.
  但你們所有人也應該在其中扮演一個角色。

[12:49] Because we need people from all cultural backgrounds, religions, age, social economic status.
  因為我們需要來自所有文化背景、宗教、年齡、社會經濟地位的人。

[12:56] We need people with different values and beliefs.
  我們需要擁有不同價值觀和信念的人。

[13:02] And we need the ones who fear technology as much as the ones who trust it.
  我們既需要恐懼這項技術的人，也需要信任它的人。

[13:10] The future doesn't just happen to us.
  未來不會只是發生在我們身上。

[13:14] We shape technology and then technology shapes our future.
  我們塑造技術，然後技術塑造我們的未來。

[13:19] And I'm looking for people who want to think about this future with quantum.
  我正在尋找那些想與量子技術一起思考未來的人。

[13:24] Think about this future with quantum.
  思考一下量子時代的未來。

[13:27] So I invite you to join me and help shape our future for the better.
  因此，我邀請您與我一起，共同塑造我們更美好的未來。

[13:29] Thank you very much.
  非常感謝您。
