# The Rising Cost of Dissent in America | Miles Taylor | TED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBnocNg69o4
Translation: zh-TW

[00:04] Not long ago, I was giving my dog a walk.
  不久前，我帶著我的狗去散步。

[00:07] His name is Martini.
  牠的名字叫馬丁尼。

[00:09] (Laughter)
  （笑聲）

[00:11] That wasn't even a joke.
  那甚至不是個笑話。

[00:13] My wife was out of town, and I left my phone inside so I could get away from the incessant buzzing and took him on a nice long walk.
  我妻子出城了，我把手機留在屋裡，這樣我就能避開那沒完沒了的嗡嗡聲，帶牠去好好散個長步。

[00:20] And I came back inside, and I had one of those moments where your stomach sinks, because I looked at my phone and I had a lot of missed calls.
  當我回到屋裡時，我經歷了那種讓人心沉下去的時刻，因為我看了看手機，發現有很多未接來電。

[00:30] And my first thought was, my wife is pissed about something.
  我第一個念頭是，我妻子因為某件事生氣了。

[00:34] It's a lot of calls.
  電話太多了。

[00:36] But then I looked, and it wasn't just a lot of calls, it was hundreds of phone calls and numbers I didn't recognize, some of them unknown numbers.
  但後來我仔細一看，那不僅僅是很多電話，而是數百通電話，而且都是我不認識的號碼，其中一些還是未知號碼。

[00:47] And I decided to figure out what this was.
  我決定弄清楚這是怎麼回事。

[00:50] And I opened my phone, and I opened the voicemails to see if these people had left messages.
  我打開手機，查看語音信箱，看看這些人是否留了訊息。

[00:58] (Audio) Person 1: What you're doing to President Trump is disgusting.
  （音訊）第一個人：你們對川普總統所做的事令人作嘔。

[01:01] You are disgusting people.
  你們是令人作嘔的人。

[01:03] You're evil and you're going to go down.
  你們很邪惡，你們會倒大楣的。

[01:05] Person 2: You, my friend, are a piece of shit.
  第二人：你這傢伙，真是個爛人。

[01:08] You are a traitor.
  你是個叛徒。

[01:10] Person 3: You're pushing for anti-Trump?
  第三人：你在推動反川普嗎？

[01:12] You dumb motherfucker!
  你這愚蠢的混蛋！

[01:16] We will squash you like a fucking peanut, bitch.
  我們會像捏死花生一樣捏死你，賤人。

[01:19] You're done, you're done.
  你完了，你徹底完了。

[01:21] So eat a dick and die.
  所以去死吧。

[01:24] Person 4: Miles, we're going to dox you.
  第四人：邁爾斯，我們要肉搜你。

[01:26] You're not going to be able to walk down the street.
  你以後沒辦法走在街上了。

[01:29] You're an anti-American.
  你是個反美份子。

[01:30] Leave the country.
  滾出這個國家。

[01:31] You're not welcome here anymore.
  這裡不再歡迎你了。

[01:34] You're anti-American, you hate your country.
  你是反美份子，你痛恨你的國家。

[01:36] Get out.
  滾出去。

[01:37] Person 5: Because you will deserve the wrath of hell.
  第五人：因為你罪有應得，將承受地獄的憤怒。

[01:41] And I think you will get what's coming to you.
  而且我想你會得到你應有的報應。

[01:44] God willing.
  願上帝保佑。

[01:46] Miles Taylor: If you can believe it, those were the nice ones.
  邁爾斯·泰勒：如果你敢相信的話，那些還算是客氣的。

[01:49] (Laughter)
  （笑聲）

[01:51] So anyway, before I get to that, let me take you back in time.
  總之，在提到那件事之前，讓我帶你們回到過去。

[01:55] Why did I end up in Washington, DC?
  為什麼我最後會來到華盛頓特區？

[01:57] Like a lot of people,
  就像許多人一樣，

[01:59] after the attacks of September 11, 2001,
  在 2001 年 9 月 11 日的襲擊事件之後，

[02:01] I wanted to come to DC
  我想來到華盛頓特區，

[02:03] to make sure a day like that never happened again.
  以確保那樣的日子永遠不會再發生。

[02:06] That was going to be the full focus of my career.
  那曾是我職業生涯的全部重心。

[02:09] And I came into Washington, the lowest place you can possibly come in on the totem pole as a young messenger on Capitol Hill, a page messenger delivering envelopes during my junior year in high school.
  我來到華盛頓時，是以國會山莊一名年輕信差的身分，處於權力階層的最底層，那是我高二時擔任負責遞送信件的傳令員。

[02:21] But despite being the lowest rung on the totem pole, I had the best desk in Washington, DC.
  但儘管身處權力階層的最底層，我卻擁有華盛頓特區最好的辦公桌。

[02:27] And I'm not joking about that.
  我並不是在開玩笑。

[02:29] Better than the Resolute desk inside the White House, because my desk was in the back of the chamber, the back of the citadel of democracy, where I had a perch to see the comings and goings of Congress in the wake of a catastrophic attack.
  它比白宮裡的堅毅桌還要好，因為我的辦公桌位於議事廳後方，也就是民主堡壘的後方；在那裡，我有個絕佳的觀測點，可以觀察災難性攻擊發生後國會的動向。

[02:43] And if you take a look, that little red circle has a little guy inside of it who's me, sitting there, watching the President's State of the Union address.
  如果你仔細看，那個紅色小圓圈裡有個小人，那就是我，正坐在那裡觀看總統的國情咨文演說。

[02:51] And I'm going to tell you what I saw in Washington in that time period.
  我將告訴你們我在那個時期的華盛頓看到了什麼。

[02:55] I saw unity.
  我看到了團結。

[02:57] I was a young person who was very inspired by seeing members of Congress walk across the literal aisle to work together on legislation to protect this country.
  我當時還年輕，看到國會議員們跨越實質的走道，共同合作制定保護這個國家的法案，這讓我深受啟發。

[03:08] But times change.
  但時代在變。

[03:09] Things fade.
  事物會消逝。

[03:10] Everything fades.
  萬物皆會消逝。

[03:12] Fast forward in time.
  時光快轉。

[03:13] I find myself in 2017 as the chief of staff of the US Department of Homeland Security.
  我發現自己身處 2017 年，擔任美國國土安全部的幕僚長。

[03:20] It's not a time of unity anymore in Washington.
  華盛頓已不再是團結的時代了。

[03:23] I took that job because of the worst sales pitch anyone's ever made for someone to join their office in history.
  我接受那份工作，是因為那是歷史上最糟糕的招募說詞。

[03:31] My boss, John Kelly, said, "Miles, it's not as bad as it looks inside the Trump administration."
  我的老闆約翰·凱利說：「邁爾斯，川普政府內部的情況並沒有看起來那麼糟。」

[03:38] (Laughter)
  （笑聲）

[03:40] "It is so much worse."
  「實際情況要糟得多。」

[03:42] (Laughter)
  （笑聲）

[03:44] And I still took that job because I understood what he meant.
  但我還是接受了那份工作，因為我明白他的意思。

[03:47] I understood he meant we need people who understand how government functions, how national security functions, real conservatives to come in and help steady the ship of these agencies.
  我明白他的意思是，我們需要了解政府運作、了解國家安全運作的人，需要真正的保守派人士進駐，協助穩定這些機構的航向。

[03:56] But I soon saw what he saw and what others saw, which is that in meetings with the President in the White House Situation Room, in the Oval Office, on Air Force One, I met a man who I had not known previously, and I found him to be reckless and impulsive at best,
  但我很快就看到了他和其他人所見到的情況，那就是在白宮戰情室、橢圓形辦公室以及空軍一號上與總統開會時，我遇到了一個我以前不認識的人，我發現他充其量是個魯莽且衝動的人，

[04:09] And at worst, on days members of Congress, cabinet secretaries, walked out of the Oval Office with ashen faces, and they said things like, "The man is a threat to the fabric of our republic," I knew there was something more serious going on.
  最糟糕的是，在國會議員和內閣部長們臉色蒼白地走出橢圓形辦公室，並說出諸如「這個人對我們共和國的體制構成威脅」之類的話時，我就知道有更嚴重的事情正在發生。

[04:23] Now I’m not going to talk about the first Trump administration, but if there was one theme, I had to spend most of my time not focused on the 250,000 men and women of the Department of Homeland Security I was responsible for helping oversee, but one man who was regularly engaged or attempting to engage in illegal acts.
  我現在不打算談論川普的第一屆政府，但如果說有一個主題的話，那就是我大部分時間都無法專注於我負責協助監督的國土安全部那二十五萬名員工，而是必須花在一個經常參與或試圖參與非法行為的人身上。

[04:43] There was no deep state inside the Trump administration.
  川普政府內部並沒有所謂的「深層政府」。

[04:45] There were people willing to speak truth to power and prevent the President from doing illegal things, not to prevent him from implementing a lawful agenda.
  當時有一些人願意對當權者說真話，並阻止總統做出非法行為，而不是為了阻止他執行合法的議程。

[04:54] But I grew very frustrated because these conversations were happening among us, a group of unelected bureaucrats, navel gazing, wringing our hands, complaining about how unfit the President was for office.
  但我感到非常沮喪，因為這些對話發生在我們這群未經選舉的官僚之間，我們只是在自我沉溺、憂心忡忡，抱怨總統有多麼不適任。

[05:06] It was not our job to decide if the President was unfit for office.
  決定總統是否適任並不是我們的工作。

[05:09] We would not decide if he got re-elected in a second term.
  我們不會決定他是否會連任第二個任期。

[05:12] That's what you would decide.
  那是你們會決定的事。

[05:14] And I felt like it was very important, if these gray-beard wise men wouldn't go out and say it in public, that someone needed to.
  我覺得這非常重要，如果這些白髮蒼蒼的智者不願意公開說出來，那麼就必須有人站出來說。

[05:21] So I decided I would go say what we were talking about in private in public.
  所以我決定要把我們私下討論的事情公開說出來。

[05:28] Now I did that at first anonymously, as many of you know.
  正如你們許多人所知，我起初是匿名這麼做的。

[05:34] And I put on that mask not because I was afraid to stand by my opinions, but because I'm a student of history.
  我戴上那個面具並不是因為我害怕堅持自己的觀點，而是因為我是一個歷史研究者。

[05:42] And my favorite book is a compendium of essays called "The Federalist Papers."
  我最喜歡的書是一本名為《聯邦黨人文集》的論文集。

[05:47] (Applause and laughter)
  （掌聲與笑聲）

[05:49] Total best seller, all the authors are dead.
  這絕對是暢銷書，儘管所有作者都已過世。

[05:51] (Laughter)
  （笑聲）

[05:53] And the Founding Fathers wrote anonymous essays to sell the American public on the Constitution, not because they were scared to associate themselves with those words, but because they knew it would create a spectacle and it would draw attention.
  開國元勳們撰寫匿名文章來向美國大眾推銷憲法，並不是因為他們害怕與這些文字產生關聯，而是因為他們知道這會造成轟動並吸引注意力。

[06:09] And to them, it was the most important issue of their time.
  對他們來說，這是他們那個時代最重要的議題。

[06:12] To get the American people to pay attention to this conversation.
  為了讓美國人民關注這場對話。

[06:16] I did the same thing.
  我也做了同樣的事。

[06:17] I'm not comparing myself to those founders, but I used the same device, and it worked.
  我並不是在將自己與那些開國元勳相提並論，但我使用了同樣的方法，而且奏效了。

[06:22] You paid attention.
  你們關注了。

[06:23] We started a national conversation about how the President's own lieutenants didn't think he was fit for office.
  我們開啟了一場全國性的對話，討論總統自己的下屬為何認為他不適任。

[06:29] That was an important conversation to have, whether you agreed with us or didn't agree with us.
  無論你是否同意我們的觀點，這都是一場重要的對話。

[06:35] One person also noticed.
  也有一個人注意到了。

[06:39] And in a seven-letter, all-caps tweet, he said “TREASON?”
  他在一則七個字母、全大寫的推文中寫道：「叛國？」

[06:45] And I was grateful that there was a question mark.
  我很慶幸那裡有一個問號。

[06:47] (Laughter)
  （笑聲）

[06:49] Because treason is punishable by death in the United States.
  因為在美國，叛國罪是可以判處死刑的。

[06:52] So at least if there was a question, I had a chance.
  所以至少如果這是一個問題，我還有機會。

[06:58] The President of the United States subsequently said he wanted the author found and turned in for national security reasons.
  美國總統隨後表示，出於國家安全考量，他希望找到作者並將其移交。

[07:05] But as I later found out, the White House gave up the search because lawyers in the White House said "This article was First Amendment-protected speech."
  但後來我發現，白宮放棄了搜尋，因為白宮的律師表示：「這篇文章屬於受第一修正案保護的言論。」

[07:13] We can't pursue this person.
  我們不能追究這個人。

[07:15] It's not treason, we're not going to arrest them.
  這不是叛國罪，我們不會逮捕他們。

[07:17] But that was not enough for me.
  但這對我來說還不夠。

[07:19] In 2020, I felt like I needed to take off the mask because behind the mask, I was sending the signal that it was OK to sit in the dark and put your opinions out there and not take accountability.
  在 2020 年，我覺得我需要摘下面具，因為戴著面具，我傳遞出的訊號是：躲在暗處發表意見卻不負責任是可以的。

[07:30] Before that election, I needed to go out there and tell you the specific things that I saw to buttress those claims I made in that piece, and let you make up your damn minds about whether this guy deserved to be reelected.
  在那次選舉之前，我需要站出來，告訴你們我所看到的具體事實，以支持我在那篇文章中所提出的主張，並讓你們自己去下定決心，判斷這個傢伙是否值得連任。

[07:45] Once again, he noticed.
  再一次，他注意到了。

[07:49] We'll get to that in a second.
  我們稍後會談到這一點。

[07:53] And he said, "At campaign rallies, bad things are going to happen to Miles Taylor."
  他說：「在競選集會上，邁爾斯·泰勒將會遭遇不幸。」

[08:00] And he was right.
  他是對的。

[08:02] They did.
  確實發生了。

[08:03] His supporters made sure of it.
  他的支持者確保了這一切發生。

[08:07] As a consequence of his rhetoric, as a consequence of accusing me of treason, I had to leave my home on Capitol Hill.
  由於他的言論，由於他指控我叛國，我不得不離開我在國會山的家。

[08:15] I lost my job that I had taken in the private sector after I left the administration.
  我失去了離開政府後在私營部門所擔任的工作。

[08:20] I lost my life savings spending it on lawyers, my security, friends.
  我花光了畢生積蓄在律師、安保和朋友身上。

[08:27] And on election night 2020, I found myself in a safe house in Northern Virginia, under armed guard with a pistol under my pillow.
  在2020年選舉之夜，我發現自己身處北維吉尼亞州的一個安全屋，在武裝警衛的看守下，枕頭下還藏著一把手槍。

[08:36] Because so many of my fellow Americans believed I should die for criticizing the President of the United States.
  因為有太多的美國同胞認為我應該因為批評美國總統而死。

[08:46] Fast forward to April 9 of this year.
  時間快轉到今年4月9日。

[08:48] Of course, Donald Trump lost that election in 2020.
  當然，唐納·川普輸掉了2020年的那場選舉。

[08:51] He won, he came back to power.
  他贏了，他重掌了權力。

[08:53] And on that day, I was out and about again with Martini, which means, you know something bad's going to happen.
  就在那天，我又帶著馬丁尼出門了，這意味著，你知道會有壞事發生。

[09:01] He was a dirty Martini, I had to take him to the groomer's.
  他當時髒兮兮的，我得帶他去寵物美容店。

[09:05] We got him cleaned, I came home, and I got a message from a journalist who said, "Turn on the news."
  我們幫他洗乾淨後，我回到家，收到了一位記者的訊息，他說：「打開新聞。」

[09:09] The President of the United States is talking about you in the Oval Office.
  美國總統正在橢圓形辦公室談論你。

[09:13] And I pulled it up on my phone, and there was Donald Trump,
  我用手機打開來看，螢幕上出現了唐納·川普，

[09:16] And there was Donald Trump declaring not that I might be guilty of treason -- the question mark was gone.
  當時唐納·川普宣稱的並非我可能犯下叛國罪——問號已經消失了。

[09:23] He told the American people and the world that he believed I was guilty of the highest crime contemplated in the United States Constitution, a reminder -- a crime punishable by death.
  他告訴美國人民和全世界，他認為我犯下了美國憲法中所設想的最重罪行，提醒一下——這是一種可判處死刑的罪行。

[09:34] And as legal scholars later told me, it was the first time in 249 years of the American Republic that a president of the United States has issued an executive order to investigate one of his critics for First Amendment-protected speech.
  正如法律學者後來告訴我的，這是美國共和國 249 年來，美國總統首次發布行政命令，調查其批評者受第一修正案保護的言論。

[09:52] Now you would be right to ask a question.
  現在，你們提出一個問題是正確的。

[09:54] If treason is tantamount to murder, why am I standing here right now?
  如果叛國罪等同於謀殺，為什麼我現在還站在這裡？

[10:00] Why am I not in handcuffs?
  為什麼我沒有戴上手銬？

[10:02] Why am I not in a jail cell?
  為什麼我沒有被關在牢房裡？

[10:06] And whether you agree with me or not, I will tell you the answer.
  無論你們是否同意我的觀點，我都會告訴你們答案。

[10:11] The answer is because the US justice system has not caught up to the President's view.
  答案是，因為美國司法體系尚未跟上總統的觀點。

[10:16] That criticism of a president is subversive.
  批評總統是顛覆性的。

[10:20] That criticism should be criminalized.
  批評應該被定為犯罪。

[10:22] That you need a permission slip to criticize the president.
  你需要許可證才能批評總統。

[10:25] The justice system hasn't caught up to that.
  司法系統還沒跟上這一點。

[10:28] Yet.
  還沒。

[10:31] But you know who did?
  但你知道誰跟上了嗎？

[10:34] The same people before that followed his dog whistles.
  那些之前追隨他政治暗號的人。

[10:39] They were paying attention.
  他們一直在關注。

[10:41] Person 1: Miles Taylor, what the fuck are you thinking going against Trump, you and your cronies?
  第一人：邁爾斯·泰勒，你和你那些黨羽反對川普，到底在想什麼鬼？

[10:46] Person 2: I really don't appreciate you putting out garbage.
  第二人：我真的很不喜歡你散布垃圾資訊。

[10:49] Do you want to be looking at defamation of character, etc., for putting out lies, because everybody's on it and on you.
  你想要因為散布謊言而面臨誹謗罪等指控嗎？因為每個人都在盯著這件事，也在盯著你。

[11:01] Person 3: Your names are going to go viral because you are treasonous ilk to our country.
  第三人：你們的名字將會瘋傳，因為你們是我們國家的叛國之徒。

[11:10] Person 4: You are what is wrong with America.
  第四人：你就是美國的問題所在。

[11:12] You, sir, are a piece of shit.
  先生，你就是個垃圾。

[11:14] Person 5: We don't forgive traitorship.
  第五人：我們不原諒叛國行為。

[11:16] I just want to let you know that your efforts to try and defeat the GOAT, the greatest president of all times, is not going to work.
  我只是想讓你知道，你們試圖擊敗史上最偉大總統的努力是不會成功的。

[11:26] You guys poked the bear.
  你們這些傢伙惹毛了這頭熊。

[11:28] You woke the sleeping giant.
  你們喚醒了沉睡的巨人。

[11:30] We're coming, my man.
  我們來了，夥計。

[11:33] These folks are not getting invited to Thanksgiving at the Taylor household.
  這些人是不會被邀請到泰勒家過感恩節的。

[11:38] But I will tell you, joking aside, those consequences were real.
  但我得告訴你，撇開玩笑不談，那些後果是真實存在的。

[11:42] Everything that we had rebuilt since 2020, when our lives were detonated, was kicked over again because of all of this.
  自 2020 年我們生活被摧毀以來所重建的一切，因為這一切又被踢翻了。

[11:49] The address of our home that we had moved to to protect my family was doxed.
  我們為了保護家人而搬去居住的住家地址被肉搜公開了。

[11:52] Our phone numbers were doxed.
  我們的電話號碼被肉搜公開了。

[11:54] My wife asked me, do we need to sell the house to be able to pay for the legal fees?
  我妻子問我，我們是否需要賣掉房子來支付法律費用？

[11:58] The business that I had built in the wake of this, that cut checks for 50 people was destroyed, and those 50 people no longer received paychecks.
  我在這之後建立的、為 50 個人發薪水的企業被摧毀了，而那 50 個人再也領不到薪水了。

[12:07] But the hardest for me as a father and a husband was watching not just me get death threats, my wife be threatened, my one-year-old daughter threatened and her image posted on the internet.
  但身為父親和丈夫，最讓我難受的是，不僅是我收到死亡威脅，我的妻子受到威脅，我一歲的女兒也受到威脅，而且她的照片還被發佈到網路上。

[12:18] That's not OK.
  這是不對的。

[12:21] And it forced us to take legal action against people we've never met in this country.
  這迫使我們對這個國家裡我們從未見過的人採取法律行動。

[12:25] Even today, I will tell you the truth, my security advisor said he did not want me to come speak to you today.
  即使在今天，我還是要告訴你實話，我的安全顧問說他不希望我今天來這裡對你們發表演講。

[12:31] And we know why.
  我們都知道原因。

[12:33] Because of the environment we are in.
  因為我們所處的環境。

[12:34] But think about that for a second.
  但請試著想一想。

[12:36] The irony that a speech about free speech can't be given in the land of the free without fear of reprisal.
  諷刺的是，在自由之國，一場關於言論自由的演講竟然無法在沒有恐懼報復的情況下進行。

[12:43] What's so remarkable about my experience, and the reason I shared it with you today, is that it is unremarkable now.
  我的經歷之所以引人注目，以及我今天與你們分享它的原因，是因為它現在已經變得不足為奇了。

[12:53] Because what has happened to me is happening from people at the member of Congress level, all the way down to state representatives and Parks and Recreation directors and you name it in this country.
  因為發生在我身上的事，正發生在這個國家從國會議員層級，一直到州代表、公園與娛樂部門主管，以及你能想到的各個層面的人身上。

[13:03] Poll workers, who are threatened with crowdsourced violence, members of Congress, who are scared to hold town halls because of their constituents on the Left and on the Right.
  那些面臨群眾外包暴力威脅的選務工作人員，以及因為左派和右派選民而不敢舉行市民大會的國會議員。

[13:12] I’m going to give you a data point about this: 10X.
  關於這一點，我要給你們一個數據：十倍。

[13:16] The year Donald Trump was elected president, there were 1,000 death threats a year to members of Congress,
  在唐納·川普當選總統的那一年，國會議員每年收到一千次死亡威脅。

[13:21] A thousand violent threats.
  一千個暴力威脅。

[13:23] By the time he left office, that had gone up tenfold to 10,000 death threats a year.
  到他離職時，這個數字已經增加了十倍，達到每年一萬次死亡威脅。

[13:29] And this is roughly where the number has hovered.
  而這個數字大致就徘徊在這個水平。

[13:31] And it is indicative of what we are seeing in other parts of our society.
  這也顯示了我們在社會其他部分所看到的現象。

[13:36] But I didn't need the data points to know this.
  但我不需要這些數據點來了解這一點。

[13:39] I'll tell you what my data point was.
  我來告訴你們我的數據點是什麼。

[13:42] My data point was a desk.
  我的數據點是一張桌子。

[13:45] On January 6, 2021, you all know what happened.
  在 2021 年 1 月 6 日，你們都知道發生了什麼事。

[13:49] What you probably don't know is that a desk was slid from the corner of the house chamber.
  你們可能不知道的是，有一張桌子從眾議院大廳的角落被推了出來。

[13:55] The desk I had sat at as a congressional page in a Washington unified against a foreign enemy, and it was slid in front of the door, and it was the last line of defense against a violent mob of insurrectionists.
  那是我擔任國會傳令員時坐過的桌子，當時的華盛頓團結一致對抗外敵；它被推到了門前，成為了抵禦暴力暴徒叛亂的最後一道防線。

[14:09] I get chills still talking about that because of how quickly our world changed in that time period.
  談到這件事我仍然感到不寒而慄，因為我們的世界在那段時間裡改變得太快了。

[14:18] Now we know a lot of scary things have happened recently.
  現在我們知道最近發生了許多可怕的事情。

[14:21] We saw the assassination of a top political commentator on the right.
  我們目睹了一位右翼頂尖政治評論員遭到暗殺。

[14:25] Just last week, the top Democrat in Congress had an assassination plot foiled against him.
  就在上週，國會中最高層級的民主黨人挫敗了一起針對他的暗殺陰謀。

[14:30] And so it begs the question: who is responsible for the price of dissent being so high in America?
  這不禁讓人質疑：究竟是誰該為美國異議代價如此高昂負責？

[14:37] Why are people fearing for their lives to speak their political opinions?
  為什麼人們在表達政治觀點時會擔心自己的生命安全？

[14:42] And if you think my answer is Donald Trump, you would be wrong.
  如果你認為我的答案是唐納·川普，那你就錯了。

[14:48] Unfortunately, my answer is you.
  遺憾的是，我的答案是你。

[14:53] Or some of you.
  或者說是你們當中的某些人。

[14:55] NPR just came out with a survey the other week that showed one in three, one in three Americans now believe that political violence would be justified to put the country back on track.
  美國國家公共電台（NPR）上週剛發布的一項調查顯示，三分之一的美國人現在認為，為了讓國家重回正軌，政治暴力是合理的。

[15:09] I'm going to give you another one in three.
  我再給你們另一個「三分之一」的例子。

[15:11] One in three Americans own a cat.
  三分之一的美國人養貓。

[15:13] (Laughter)
  （笑聲）

[15:17] Think about that.
  好好想想這件事。

[15:19] Now I want to ask you a question.
  現在我想問你們一個問題。

[15:21] Which political affiliation do you think is more likely to hold this view?
  你認為哪個政黨傾向更可能持有這種觀點？

[15:25] Is it the Democrats?
  是民主黨嗎？

[15:27] Is it the Republicans?
  是共和黨嗎？

[15:30] You're all wrong.
  你們都錯了。

[15:32] It's Democrats and Republicans in equal measure statistically.
  從統計學上來看，民主黨和共和黨的比例是一樣的。

[15:36] Now you might be sitting there saying, "Miles, but I'm not one of those one third.
  現在你可能坐在那裡說：「邁爾斯，但我不是那三分之一的人。

[15:40] I'm not one of those.
  我不是其中之一。

[15:42] I didn't call your phone that day."
  那天我沒有打你的電話。」

[15:44] At least I don't think any of you did.
  至少我不認為你們之中有人打過。

[15:47] (Laughter)
  （笑聲）

[15:49] And again, statistically, you're probably right.
  再說一次，從統計學上講，你可能是對的。

[15:52] You probably fit into this category.
  你可能屬於這一類。

[15:55] Because a recent survey found that two out of three Americans are now actively admitting to self-censoring their views out of fear of reprisal.
  因為最近的一項調查發現，三分之二的美國人現在主動承認，由於害怕報復而對自己的觀點進行自我審查。

[16:07] It's not just people inside the beltway, it's you.
  這不僅僅是華盛頓圈內的人，也包括你。

[16:10] We're all doing it, we're all guilty of it.
  我們都在這樣做，我們都有罪。

[16:13] The same survey found that the vast majority of Americans agree in private on almost all the controversial issues in our society: immigration, abortion, climate change, you name it.
  同一項調查發現，絕大多數美國人在私下裡對我們社會中幾乎所有具爭議性的議題都達成共識：移民、墮胎、氣候變遷，等等。

[16:23] Survey found majorities agree on those issues, but they're scared to say it, including they're afraid to repudiate political violence.
  調查發現大多數人同意這些議題，但他們不敢說出來，包括他們害怕譴責政治暴力。

[16:33] So who's responsible for the price of dissent being so high in this country?
  那麼，在這個國家，誰該為異議的高昂代價負責呢？

[16:37] It's not Donald Trump.
  不是唐納·川普。

[16:38] It's not even the one third of Americans who believe we might have to use political violence against one another.
  甚至不是那三分之一認為我們可能必須對彼此使用政治暴力的美國人。

[16:44] It's the two thirds.
  而是那三分之二的人。

[16:48] In my opinion, the greatest threat to democracy today is anonymity.
  在我看來，當今民主面臨的最大威脅是匿名性。

[16:55] And I understand that that's ironic coming from me.
  我知道這話從我口中說出來很諷刺。

[16:58] (Laughter)
  （笑聲）

[16:59] I get it.
  我明白。

[17:02] It's anonymity.
  就是匿名性。

[17:04] We are wearing our figurative masks.
  我們正戴著象徵性的面具。

[17:07] We are scared to tell the truth.
  我們害怕說實話。

[17:09] And you know what?
  你知道嗎？

[17:10] When we're scared to tell the truth, intimidation works.
  當我們害怕說實話時，恐嚇就奏效了。

[17:14] It works very, very well.
  它非常、非常有效。

[17:17] And I'm going to close by saying this.
  最後我想說的是。

[17:19] The question is, how do we fix it then?
  問題是，我們該如何解決它呢？

[17:24] I'm going to give you an economics lesson.
  我要給你們上一堂經濟學課。

[17:26] Oh, God, this talk just got awful.
  天哪，這場演講變得糟糕透了。

[17:28] (Laughter)
  （笑聲）

[17:31] If you remember supply and demand curves.
  如果你還記得供需曲線的話。

[17:33] In any marketplace, when supply and demand meet, that's what determines the price, OK?
  在任何市場中，當供給與需求相遇時，這就是決定價格的因素，好嗎？

[17:38] If as many people want pencils as there are pencils out there, that's the price.
  如果有多少人想要鉛筆，市場上就有多少鉛筆，這就是價格。

[17:42] I don’t know, $1.50 a pencil.
  我不知道，也許一支鉛筆 1.50 美元。

[17:45] If the price of dissent in this country is high today, how do you lower it?
  如果今天在這個國家表達異議的代價很高，你該如何降低它呢？

[17:50] Economics teaches you there are only two ways.
  經濟學告訴你只有兩種方法。

[17:52] That's it.
  就這樣。

[17:54] There [are] two ways to lower that price.
  有兩種方法可以降低那個價格。

[17:56] One.
  第一。

[17:59] You could decrease demand.
  你可以減少需求。

[18:01] You decrease demand for pencils, we don't want them anymore, we're using pens.
  你減少對鉛筆的需求，我們不再需要它們了，我們改用鋼筆。

[18:05] The price will go down.
  價格就會下降。

[18:07] But when it comes to dissent and truth and debate in this country, if you believe in what the Founders said about America, you don't want to do that.
  但當談到這個國家的異議、真相和辯論時，如果你相信開國元勳們對美國的期許，你就不會想這麼做。

[18:15] We don't want to decrease the demand for truth and debate and the possibility of reaching accord on important issues.
  我們不想減少對真相和辯論的需求，也不想減少在重要議題上達成共識的可能性。

[18:22] So the only way to lower the price in any marketplace
  所以，在任何市場中降低價格的唯一方法是

[18:28] Is to increase the supply.
  是增加供應。

[18:32] That is you.
  那就是你。

[18:34] You are the good in that marketplace.
  你是那個市場中的良善。

[18:38] We need more dissent.
  我們需要更多的異議。

[18:40] We need people unafraid to step forward and speak the truth.
  我們需要不畏懼挺身而出並說出真相的人。

[18:45] And so I will close by just saying this.
  因此，我最後只想說這一點。

[18:48] There are a lot of scary things happening right now in this country, a lot of scary things.
  這個國家現在正發生許多可怕的事情，非常多可怕的事情。

[18:54] And I understand the inclination to ask, "What is going on here?"
  我理解人們傾向於問：「這裡到底發生了什麼事？」

[19:00] But before you answer that question, I want you to ask yourself and the people around you another question.
  但在你回答那個問題之前，我希望你問問自己以及周圍的人另一個問題。

[19:08] Am I anonymous still?
  我是否仍然匿名？

[19:12] Because if the answer is yes to that, then you also know the solution.
  因為如果答案是肯定的，那麼你也知道解決方案。

[19:16] It's within your control.
  這在你的掌控之中。

[19:17] And that solution is, it's time to take off the mask.
  而那個解決方案就是，是時候摘下面具了。

[19:21] Thank you.
  謝謝。

[19:22] (Cheers and applause)
  （歡呼與掌聲）
