# Ayden Sng 孙政 relives his student days at Duke University | Those Days Those Places 异生活忆时光 EP10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-jbWTWQ4TU
Translation: zh-TW

[00:12] After graduating, returning to Duke University, a place that's familiar and filled with memories, feels comforting.
  畢業後回到杜克大學，這個充滿回憶且熟悉的地方，讓人感到安心。

[00:19] Next, I'm going to meet the professor I've missed the most.
  接下來，我要去見我最想念的教授。

[00:22] From my first year to my fourth year, she taught me orchestral conducting.
  從大一到大四，她一直教我管弦樂指揮。

[00:29] She's Dr. Verena Mosenbichler-Bryant.
  她是 Verena Mosenbichler-Bryant 博士。

[00:33] Baldwin Auditorium, Duke East Campus.
  杜克大學東校區，鮑德溫禮堂。

[00:34] Hello.
  你好。

[00:34] Hi.
  嗨。

[00:36] Oh my god.
  天啊。

[00:38] It's so good to see you.
  很高興見到你。

[00:40] Welcome back.
  歡迎回來。

[00:41] Thank you.
  謝謝。

[00:43] You look the same, you haven't aged a day.
  你看起來一點都沒變，完全沒老。

[00:45] How does it feel to be back on campus?
  回到校園感覺如何？

[00:47] It feels really good.
  感覺真的很棒。

[00:48] I'm reliving a lot of my college memories.
  我正在重溫許多大學時期的回憶。

[00:51] It's kind of like a time capsule of sorts.
  這感覺就像是一個時光膠囊。

[00:55] I can't believe what you're doing now.
  真不敢相信你現在所做的一切。

[00:57] I want to hear all about it.
  我想聽聽關於這一切的事。

[00:58] Because I want to know how conducting has changed or maybe affected what you're doing now, if it had an impact.
  因為我想知道指揮這件事如何改變了你，或者影響了你現在所做的事，如果它有帶來什麼影響的話。

[01:07] I'm so curious.
  我真的很好奇。

[01:08] So, should we go inside?
  那麼，我們進去吧？

[01:09] Yes, let's head in and have a proper catch-up.
  好，我們進去好好敘敘舊。

[01:12] Yes, let's do that.
  是的，我們就這麼做吧。

[01:14] Baldwin Auditorium.
  鮑德溫禮堂。

[01:15] Excellent acoustics, seats up to 685 people.
  極佳的音響效果，可容納多達 685 人。

[01:17] I miss this auditorium.
  我很懷念這個禮堂。

[01:20] It's such a beautiful space, and we are so lucky to have it...
  這是一個如此美麗的空間，我們能擁有它真是太幸運了……

[01:22] and to actually get to rehearse in this venue all the time.
  而且能一直有機會在這個場地排練。

[01:26] I miss being in an orchestra.
  我很懷念待在管弦樂團的日子。

[01:27] Because of my work, I can't commit to rehearsals, obviously.
  因為我的工作，顯然我無法承諾參加排練。

[01:30] So it's been a long time since I played in an orchestra.
  所以我已經很久沒有在管弦樂團演奏了。

[01:33] Well, they need to find you a role where you actually get to work with musicians...
  嗯，他們需要為你找到一個能讓你真正與音樂家合作的角色……

[01:38] and maybe where you actually get to conduct.
  或許還能讓你真正進行指揮。

[01:41] The thing I was most looking forward to was seeing Dr. Verena again.
  我最期待的事情就是再次見到 Verena 博士。

[01:45] From a professor's perspective, she witnessed everything I've done at Duke.
  從教授的角度來看，她見證了我在杜克大學所做的一切。

[01:50] I'm also happy for her.
  我也為她感到高興。

[01:51] She is now the Head of the Music Department.
  她現在是音樂系主任。

[01:54] She continues to shine brightly in her field.
  她在她的領域中持續發光發熱。

[02:00] I still recall the days when we did Conducting 101...
  我仍然記得我們上指揮學導論的日子……

[02:03] and all of those independent studies here in this room, discussing music.
  以及所有在這一間教室裡討論音樂的獨立研究時光。

[02:07] Let me show you a couple of things that I found while I was digging through some of the things.
  讓我給你看一些我在翻找東西時發現的幾樣東西。

[02:12] Should I be worried?
  我該擔心嗎？

[02:13] No, you don't need to be worried at all.
  不，你完全不需要擔心。

[02:14] But it's so exciting to just come across a couple of videos of when you were conducting.
  但偶然看到幾段你指揮時的影片，真是太令人興奮了。

[02:21] This was one of our Polka band rehearsals.
  這是我們波爾卡樂團的排練之一。

[02:25] And you were conducting the Polka band.
  而你當時正在指揮波爾卡樂團。

[02:27] Yes.
  是的。

[02:27] This was for the Viennese Ball, right?
  這是為了維也納舞會，對吧？

[02:29] Yes, it was.
  是的，沒錯。

[02:32] Do you remember this?
  你還記得這個嗎？

[02:33] Yes, I remember the song.
  是的，我記得這首歌。

[02:34] It's coming back to me now.
  我現在想起來了。

[02:36] You always had amazing confidence on the podium.
  你在指揮台上總是充滿自信。

[02:39] You were always very poised and polite.
  你總是表現得非常沉穩且有禮貌。

[02:43] How does it relate to being an actor?
  這與成為一名演員有什麼關聯嗎？

[02:46] Or does it relate?
  或者說，這有關聯嗎？

[02:47] In acting, because we rely on our body a lot, it's about posture.
  在表演中，因為我們非常依賴身體，所以這與姿勢有關。

[02:52] When you're portraying certain characters, it's about being able to segment it in that way, right?
  當你詮釋特定角色時，重點在於能夠以那種方式進行區隔，對吧？

[02:58] So I definitely felt like, whatever I did here, that ability to split your mind and do multiple things at the same time, it really translates when you end up in a profession that requires using your body.
  所以我確實覺得，無論我在這裡做了什麼，那種一心多用並同時處理多項事務的能力，當你最終從事需要運用身體的職業時，真的能派上用場。

[03:00] Yes.
  是的。

[03:13] So a lot of what I did here, I think, really helped inform my own control over my body when I'm performing in a different way.
  所以我想，我在這裡所做的大部分事情，確實有助於我在以不同方式表演時，對自己的身體有更好的控制。

[03:21] Essentially it's the same thing, isn't it?
  本質上這是一樣的事情，不是嗎？

[03:23] Yes, it's kind of the same concept, right?
  是的，這算是相同的概念，對吧？

[03:26] When you have the audience behind you, when you have the musicians in front of you, you're being watched non-stop, so you're always performing.
  當觀眾在身後，樂手在面前時，你一直被注視著，所以你總是在表演。

[03:35] I miss that feeling of being able to influence music.
  我很懷念那種能夠影響音樂的感覺。

[03:38] So let's put a baton in your hand, let me grab one for you.
  那我們把指揮棒交到你手中，讓我為你拿一支。

[03:41] I feel like I'm going to be embarrassed.
  我覺得我會感到尷尬。

[03:42] Not at all.
  一點也不會。

[03:45] Thank you.
  謝謝你。

[03:45] Of course.
  當然。

[03:47] It's so wonderful.
  這真是太棒了。

[03:48] It just makes me smile to see you back with a baton in your hand.
  看到你手裡重新拿著指揮棒，這讓我忍不住微笑。

[03:52] I must find a way to use this, in some way.
  我必須想辦法以某種方式使用它。

[03:55] Maybe we can find a way tonight to use it.
  也許我們今晚能找到使用它的方法。

[03:58] What do you mean?
  你這是什麼意思？

[03:59] You should step on the podium and conduct a few measures with the wind symphony.
  你應該走上指揮台，用管樂交響樂團指揮幾個小節。

[04:03] That would be so scary.
  那會非常可怕。

[04:05] Why not?
  為什麼不呢？

[04:07] Well, I need some instructions.
  嗯，我需要一些指導。

[04:08] Okay.
  好的。

[04:08] Like now.
  就像現在這樣。

[04:09] Well, then let's work on it.
  好吧，那我們來練習一下。

[04:11] At the beginning, you want to make sure...
  一開始，你要確保……

[04:13] First of all, the breath.
  首先，呼吸。

[04:15] Okay.
  好的。

[04:18] Also, there's a lot of...
  此外，還有很多……

[04:26] Okay, I feel that now.
  好的，我現在感覺到了。

[04:35] I often think of music as a painting.
  我常把音樂視為一幅畫。

[04:38] The structure in the painting, the interplay of dark and light colours, which elements are the focus or supporting, what forms the background...
  畫中的結構、深淺色彩的交織、哪些元素是焦點或襯托、什麼構成了背景……

[04:44] All of these need to be thoughtfully composed.
  所有這些都需要經過深思熟慮的構圖。

[04:47] I think that's what conducting is like.
  我認為指揮就是這樣。

[04:49] Through working with the musicians, we create the perfect painting together.
  透過與音樂家們合作，我們共同創造出完美的畫作。

[04:54] What I remember specifically about him is his musicianship.
  我對他特別深刻的記憶是他的音樂素養。

[04:58] He always had a lot of emotion and care for the music, and that always transferred to his conducting.
  他對音樂總是有著豐富的情感與關懷，而這總是能傳遞到他的指揮中。

[05:06] Even though sometimes the technique was a little in the way, and that's something we needed to work on, the music always was within Ayden.
  儘管有時技巧會造成一點阻礙，而那是我們需要改進的地方，但音樂始終存在於 Ayden 的心中。

[05:19] Duke Wind Symphony Rehearsal.
  杜克管樂交響樂團排練。

[05:22] Musicians on stage, ready to go.
  音樂家們在舞台上，準備就緒。

[05:24] Here we go.
  我們開始吧。

[05:33] Watching Dr. Verena conduct again is truly such a joy.
  再次觀看 Verena 博士指揮真是一種享受。

[05:39] Her conducting resembles a general issuing commands, decisive, sharp, and full of showmanship.
  她的指揮風格就像將軍發號施令，果斷、銳利且充滿表演張力。

[05:47] I really enjoy watching her conduct.
  我真的很喜歡看她指揮。

[05:55] Officially on the podium.
  正式站上指揮台。

[06:42] He was amazing.
  他太棒了。

[06:44] I'm so proud of him, because he picked up quickly.
  我為他感到非常驕傲，因為他上手得很快。

[06:48] After not conducting for seven years, to step on the podium...
  在七年沒有指揮之後，能再次站上指揮台……

[06:52] I wish for him that he has that opportunity again to work more, to enhance his craft as a conductor.
  我希望他能再次擁有更多工作的機會，以提升他作為指揮的技藝。

[07:01] Why do some people love conducting?
  為什麼有些人熱愛指揮？

[07:02] It's because with just a single command, you can make the whole orchestra sing.
  這是因為只需一個指令，你就能讓整個管弦樂團歌唱。

[07:11] It's an incredibly exhilarating experience.
  這是一種令人無比振奮的體驗。

[07:16] I never imagined that I'd stand on the podium again when I returned to Duke University.
  當我回到杜克大學時，我從未想過自己還能再次站上指揮台。

[07:22] I really miss the stage of the concert hall, and I also deeply miss the art of conducting.
  我真的很懷念音樂廳的舞台，也深深懷念指揮這門藝術。

[07:29] I hope to take on music-related roles in the future where I can put my conducting skills into practice.
  我希望未來能擔任與音樂相關的職務，在那裡我可以實踐我的指揮技巧。

[07:35] It's a small dream of mine.
  這是我的小小心願。

[07:51] There's a lot of land in the United States (US), so shopping malls are less common.
  美國的土地非常廣闊，所以購物中心比較少見。

[07:55] Instead, you see big shopping streets like this.
  取而代之的是，你會看到像這樣的大型購物街。

[07:59] Students from Duke University love coming here.
  杜克大學的學生很喜歡來這裡。

[08:02] Why?
  為什麼呢？

[08:02] Because it has the biggest and most extensive Asian supermarket, which is also closest to campus, Li Ming's.
  因為這裡有最大、最齊全的亞洲超市，而且離校園最近，就是李明超市。

[08:08] When I was studying, I came here every two to three weeks.
  我讀書的時候，每兩到三週就會來這裡一次。

[08:11] Now I'm excited to see if they're still selling the same things I remember.
  現在我很興奮，想看看他們是否還賣著我記憶中的那些東西。

[08:20] I cooked a lot in college.
  我在大學時經常自己做飯。

[08:23] This is the only place you can find vegetables and fruits the Chinese often eat.
  這是唯一能找到華人常吃的蔬菜和水果的地方。

[08:28] For example, tropical fruits like rambutan, dragon fruit and durian.
  例如紅毛丹、火龍果和榴槤等熱帶水果。

[08:32] I'm Teochew, and I like making soup at home.
  我是潮州人，喜歡在家裡煮湯。

[08:35] I usually get the ingredients for my soup here.
  我通常會在這裡買煮湯的食材。

[08:37] Now, let me show you the cooked food section.
  現在，讓我帶你們看看熟食區。

[08:42] It's hard to find cooked food sections like this in the US.
  在美國很難找到像這樣的熟食區。

[08:47] So when I didn't feel like cooking, or when I was feeling lazy, I'll drive here to get groceries and daily necessities.
  所以當我不想做飯，或者覺得懶的時候，我就會開車來這裡買雜貨和日常用品。

[08:55] And then grab some food from here.
  然後從這裡買些食物。

[08:58] They even sell roasted meats, so it's really convenient.
  他們甚至有賣烤肉，所以真的很方便。

[09:01] After coming here, I realized that many Asian supermarkets in the US sell tangyuan made in Singapore.
  來到這裡之後，我發現美國許多亞洲超市都有賣新加坡製造的湯圓。

[09:07] This is the brand.
  這是這個品牌。

[09:08] This is their sesame ball.
  這是他們的芝麻球。

[09:10] When you get here, you'll really miss home.
  當你來到這裡，你會真的很想家。

[09:11] So, I'm always happy to see this "Made in Singapore" label.
  所以，我總是很高興看到這個「新加坡製造」的標籤。

[09:17] Maybe because I'm a Chinese at heart, so I don't like cold food.
  也許是因為我內心是個華人，所以我不太喜歡冷食。

[09:21] I prefer food that's cooked or steamed.
  我比較喜歡煮熟或蒸過的食物。

[09:25] I also really like steamed buns and shou tao.
  我也很喜歡饅頭和壽桃。

[09:31] Even now, back in Singapore, I often buy these from the supermarket to keep at home.
  即使現在回到新加坡，我也常從超市買這些放在家裡。

[09:38] There are things you can easily buy at any convenience store or supermarket in Singapore.
  有些東西在新加坡的任何便利商店或超市都能輕易買到。

[09:44] But here in the US, you have to go to specific places to find them.
  但在美國，你必須去特定的地方才找得到。

[09:48] No matter the price, if it gives you a taste of home, you'd be willing to pay, because it reminds you of home.
  無論價格如何，如果它能讓你嚐到家鄉的味道，你都會願意付錢，因為它會讓你想起家。

[10:02] In my college days, I was involved in many student organizations.
  在我的大學時代，我參與了許多學生組織。

[10:05] So now that I'm back, I'd like to hear from my juniors about their life as students and see how it compares to mine back then.
  所以現在我回來了，我想聽聽學弟妹們的學生生活，並看看與我當時相比有什麼不同。

[10:16] Singapore Students Association Gathering.
  新加坡學生會聚會。

[10:19] I really miss Southern food, so thanks for bringing me here.
  我真的很懷念南方美食，所以謝謝你們帶我來這裡。

[10:21] Of course.
  當然。

[10:22] This restaurant is known for its Southern specialties.
  這家餐廳以其南方特色菜聞名。

[10:27] They're famous for their whole hog barbecue.
  他們以整豬燒烤而聞名。

[10:29] It's definitely a must-try.
  這絕對是必嚐的。

[10:31] So are you all members of the Singapore Student Association (SSA)?
  那麼你們都是新加坡學生會（SSA）的成員嗎？

[10:34] Yes.
  是的。

[10:35] I'm curious, what kind of events do you organize at the school now?
  我很好奇，你們現在在學校舉辦什麼樣的活動？

[10:40] The main thing is, we really enjoy eating.
  最主要的是，我們真的很喜歡吃。

[10:45] So at every event, we'd have lots of food.
  所以每次活動，我們都會準備很多食物。

[10:50] For example, during Chinese New Year celebrations, we'd sometimes have hotpot.
  例如，在農曆新年慶祝活動中，我們有時會吃火鍋。

[10:55] Every year, we'd also celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival with different student associations.
  每年，我們也會與不同的學生組織一起慶祝中秋節。

[11:02] Using food as an entry point.
  以食物作為切入點。

[11:04] To help more people understand Singaporean culture is very important.
  幫助更多人了解新加坡文化非常重要。

[11:07] When I was at school, I was also the president of the SSA.
  我在學校時，也曾擔任過新加坡學生會（SSA）的主席。

[11:10] Back then, the SSA wasn't a huge organization on campus.
  那時候，SSA 在校園裡並不是一個大型組織。

[11:14] So we had to work with the Asian Student Association (ASA), which is obviously a huge organization.
  所以我們必須與亞洲學生會（ASA）合作，那顯然是一個大型組織。

[11:20] We actually organized the Mid-Autumn celebration on the Bryan Center Plaza.
  我們實際上是在布萊恩中心廣場舉辦了中秋慶祝活動。

[11:24] Did you know we were the first ones to do it?
  你知道我們是第一批這樣做的人嗎？

[11:27] You're pioneers—trailblazers.
  你們是先驅，是開拓者。

[11:30] Let's get food first.
  我們先去吃點東西吧。

[11:32] So during your time here, the interaction you have with Singapore students, what role does it play in your social support system?
  那麼在你們這裡的期間，你們與新加坡學生的互動，在你們的社會支持系統中扮演了什麼角色？

[11:40] What do you guys think?
  你們大家怎麼看？

[11:40] I feel like the SSA is a home you can always return to, especially for freshmen who just started at Duke University, having a default support system is really nice.
  我覺得 SSA 是一個你可以隨時回歸的家，特別是對於剛進入杜克大學的大一新生來說，擁有一個預設的支持系統真的很棒。

[11:51] It can ease the transition and help you blend into the community better.
  它可以緩解過渡期的不適，並幫助你更好地融入社區。

[11:56] I remember before I came to Duke University, the SSA held an event in Singapore, where I met Charlotte and Zaer.
  我記得在我來到杜克大學之前，SSA 在新加坡舉辦了一場活動，我在那裡遇到了 Charlotte 和 Zaer。

[12:04] Then, when I first arrived at Duke, I could ask them questions like, "Do you know where the auditorium is? I can't find it."
  然後，當我剛到杜克大學時，我可以問他們一些問題，例如：「你知道禮堂在哪裡嗎？我找不到它。」

[12:11] And they would always help me.
  而他們總是會幫助我。

[12:13] Exactly like you said, we don't hang out that often, but when we do, it reminds us of home.
  就像你說的那樣，我們不常聚在一起，但當我們聚在一起時，這會讓我們想起家。

[12:19] Yes.
  是的。

[12:20] And when you feel that culturally, there are just too many things that are overbearing, there's always a bunch of people you can go back to, that feels like home.
  當你在文化上感到有太多令人難以承受的事情時，總有一群人你可以回去找他們，那種感覺就像家一樣。

[12:28] They would get you.
  他們會懂你。

[12:29] You don't have to do small talk, right?
  你不需要進行客套的閒聊，對吧？

[12:32] I agree.
  我同意。

[12:34] And you can use your Singlish, and they would understand.
  而且你可以使用你的新加坡式英語，他們也會聽得懂。

[12:37] So cherish the time you have here.
  所以要珍惜你在這裡的時光。

[12:40] The SSA gives me a sense of Singaporean pride.
  新加坡學生會（SSA）給了我一種新加坡人的自豪感。

[12:43] Being here comes with a sense of mission, which is to not let our parents down... and not waste the tremendous effort they put... into sending us to these universities.
  來到這裡伴隨著一種使命感，那就是不讓我們的父母失望……也不要浪費他們投入的巨大努力……把我們送到這些大學。

[12:51] So, you'll be especially diligent.
  所以，你會特別勤奮。

[12:53] I believe many Singaporeans feel the same way.
  我相信許多新加坡人也有同樣的感受。

[13:03] This is the biggest game we'll have of the year.
  這是我們今年將進行的最重要的一場比賽。

[13:05] It's the one to go to.
  這是要去的那一個。

[13:07] We've got pretty good timing.
  我們的時間抓得相當好。

[13:11] (Blue Devil, Duke University Mascot)
  （藍魔鬼，杜克大學吉祥物）

[13:14] Before every game, fans will do something called tailgating.
  每場比賽前，球迷們都會進行一種叫做「尾門派對」的活動。

[13:20] It started when people parked their cars in the parking lot before the games, and they would set up food and drinks behind their cars... and gather together.
  這始於人們在比賽前將車停在停車場，然後在車後擺放食物和飲料……並聚集在一起。

[13:28] Over time, it grew into a tradition and culture.
  隨著時間的推移，它發展成了一種傳統和文化。

[13:31] Let me introduce them.
  讓我介紹一下他們。

[13:32] These are my fraternity brothers, but I'm 10 years older than them.
  這些是我的兄弟會成員，但我比他們大 10 歲。

[13:36] -I'm going to borrow one of you guys -Okay, sure.
  「我要借用你們其中一個人。」「好的，沒問題。」

[13:40] Let's see.
  讓我們看看。

[13:41] These are our fraternity letters, Lambda, Phi and Epsilon.
  這些是我們的兄弟會字母：Lambda、Phi 和 Epsilon。

[13:43] You can see that they resemble the characters for "Leaders Among Men".
  你可以看到它們看起來像「人中之領袖」的字樣。

[13:47] When the founder first started this Asian fraternity, his vision was that... the Asian men who joined... would embody a strong sense of leadership.
  當創始人最初創立這個亞裔兄弟會時，他的願景是……加入的亞裔男性……能夠體現出強烈的領導力。

[13:58] I remember that when I was in college, I was the president of the SSA, and also the vice president of the ASA.
  我記得我在大學時，曾擔任 SSA 的主席，也是 ASA 的副主席。

[14:06] The presidents of the Japanese and Korean student associations were in Lambda Phi Epsilon as well.
  日本和韓國學生會的會長們也加入了 Lambda Phi Epsilon。

[14:09] I think that's something we're very proud of.
  我想這是一件讓我們感到非常自豪的事情。

[14:22] Did they just start playing?
  他們剛開始演奏嗎？

[14:24] No!
  沒有！

[14:29] What's happening?
  發生什麼事了？

[14:31] What happened?
  發生了什麼事？

[14:36] Although Duke University is famous for its sports, I didn't really have much exposure to it when I studied here.
  雖然杜克大學以體育聞名，但我當初在這裡讀書時，並沒有太多接觸。

[14:44] I'm really glad to have this chance to finally immerse myself in the atmosphere.
  我很高興終於有機會能沉浸在這種氛圍中。

[14:56] (Off-Campus Fraternity House)
  （校外兄弟會會所）

[15:00] Studying in the US comes with experiences you wouldn't have in Singapore.
  在美國留學會帶來你在新加坡無法獲得的體驗。

[15:04] Joining fraternities is one of them.
  加入兄弟會就是其中之一。

[15:06] It's a brotherhood.
  這是一種兄弟情誼。

[15:07] Where people become close friends through spending time together.
  人們透過相處而成為親密的朋友。

[15:12] Now, the members of Lambda Phi Epsilon are going to do something symbolic and meaningful.
  現在，Lambda Phi Epsilon 的成員們將要做一些具有象徵意義且有意義的事情。

[15:18] They've invited me to help paint a large paddle with them.
  他們邀請我一起幫忙繪製一塊大槳。

[15:22] The paddle will be displayed in their fraternity house.
  這塊槳將會展示在他們的兄弟會會所中。

[15:25] Let's do something simple and straightforward.
  我們來做一些簡單直接的事情吧。

[15:28] I know that in the Duke Gardens, they usually have cherry blossoms, you know, the pink flowers.
  我知道在杜克花園裡，通常會有櫻花，你知道的，就是那種粉紅色的花。

[15:33] We can do something like that.
  我們可以畫類似的東西。

[15:35] Alright, let's get to work.
  好了，我們開始工作吧。

[15:36] The fraternity has a tradition where we pick up Big and Little.
  兄弟會有一個挑選「大哥」與「小弟」的傳統。

[15:40] So, a senior will pick a junior he feels a special connection with, or is particularly close to.
  所以，高年級生會挑選一位他覺得有特殊連結，或是特別親近的低年級生。

[15:46] The paddle symbolizes the respect and gratitude the junior has for the senior.
  這塊槳象徵著低年級生對高年級生的尊重與感激。

[15:53] We usually present the paddle on graduation day.
  我們通常會在畢業典禮當天贈送這塊槳。

[15:59] All done.
  完成了。

[16:00] This is the paddle my fraternity brothers and I just painted.
  這就是我和我的兄弟會兄弟們剛剛畫好的槳。

[16:04] It says, "Past, Present, Future, Always."
  上面寫著：「過去、現在、未來，永遠。」

[16:08] No matter the generation, the Lambda Phi Epsilon members have kept the same traditions.
  無論是哪一代，Lambda Phi Epsilon 的成員們都保持著相同的傳統。

[16:15] I believe the fraternity will always hold a special place in our hearts.
  我相信這個兄弟會將永遠在我們心中佔有特殊的地位。

[16:21] It gives you a group of trusted friends, both in college and as you enter society.
  無論是在大學期間還是進入社會後，它都能為你提供一群值得信賴的朋友。

[16:28] Past, present and future.
  過去、現在與未來。

[16:31] Brotherhood unites us, friendship never dies.
  兄弟情誼將我們團結在一起，友誼永存。

[16:45] Hello, Grandpa!
  你好，爺爺！

[16:48] So good to see you.
  很高興見到你。

[16:48] Good to see you, it's been so long.
  很高興見到你，好久不見了。

[16:51] This is Ling.
  這位是玲。

[16:52] You can also call her Professor Zhou.
  你也可以稱呼她為周教授。

[16:56] Ling moved here from China when she was five, and she had been living here since.
  玲五歲時從中國搬到這裡，從那時起就一直住在這裡。

[17:00] So, that makes her a local.
  所以，她算是本地人了。

[17:02] She is a good friend of mine from college.
  她是我在大學時的好朋友。

[17:04] I was in a fraternity, and she was in an Asian sorority, so we never met.
  我當時參加了兄弟會，而她參加了亞裔姐妹會，所以我們以前從未見過面。

[17:09] Later on, she became my neighbour.
  後來，她成了我的鄰居。

[17:12] And we've kept in touch since graduation.
  我們畢業後一直保持聯絡。

[17:15] She's now an associate professor at The University of Hong Kong.
  她現在是香港大學的副教授。

[17:19] As they say, you should never judge a book by its cover.
  俗話說，人不可貌相。

[17:21] What do you mean?
  你這是什麼意思？

[17:23] We're here.
  我們到了。

[17:23] We're here.
  我們到了。

[17:26] I remember back then, I lived upstairs, and you lived below me.
  我記得那時候，我住樓上，你住我樓下。

[17:31] At home, I'd make really plain, very simple, very simple, and not so tasty grandpa food.
  在家裡，我會做些非常清淡、非常簡單、不太好吃的「老人家食物」。

[17:39] It's not grandpa food.
  那不是老人家食物。

[17:40] It's just very healthy food.
  那只是非常健康的食物。

[17:42] It's ABC soup, something Singaporeans eat often.
  那是 ABC 湯，新加坡人常吃的東西。

[17:45] She can't cook.
  她不會做飯。

[17:47] She's just here for free food.
  她只是來蹭飯的。

[17:48] Even if it's not that tasty, I'm still happy to eat it.
  就算沒那麼好吃，我也還是吃得很開心。

[17:51] Aren't you happy you have someone to share...
  有人可以分享，你不開心嗎？

[17:53] I paid for the ingredients, took the time to cook, and even had to cook for you.
  我付錢買食材，花時間煮，甚至還得煮給你吃。

[17:58] You were getting free food, and now you tell me it's not tasty?
  你白吃了這麼多餐，現在跟我說不好吃？

[17:59] But I brought you happiness, right?
  但我帶給你快樂了，對吧？

[18:03] It was clean and healthy.
  這很乾淨又健康。

[18:03] Very healthy.
  非常健康。

[18:05] And you needed it, because you were eating too much junk food.
  而且你需要這個，因為你當時吃了太多垃圾食物。

[18:07] No.
  才沒有。

[18:09] It's been so long.
  好久不見了。

[18:11] We're here.
  我們到了。

[18:13] 8G.
  8G。

[18:16] It's a one-bedroom apartment.
  這是一間一房一廳的公寓。

[18:18] I really like having my own space, so I didn't have a roommate in college.
  我真的很喜歡擁有自己的空間，所以我在大學時沒有室友。

[18:22] Even though I spent most of my time with friends, I can still return to my own space.
  即使我大部分時間都和朋友在一起，我仍然可以回到屬於自己的空間。

[18:28] Actually, it's the same even now.
  其實，現在也是一樣。

[18:30] After achieving some success at work, I moved out to live by myself.
  在工作上取得一些成就後，我搬出來自己住了。

[18:34] I remember whenever I wanted to sleep, there would be a giant making noise upstairs.
  我記得每當我想睡覺時，樓上總會有個巨人製造噪音。

[18:39] Since when?
  從什麼時候開始的？

[18:40] That's slander!
  那是誹謗！

[18:42] There's no way.
  根本不可能。

[18:44] I could also hear her cat running upstairs.
  我也能聽到她的貓在樓上跑來跑去。

[18:47] True, back then, I asked you to help take care of my cat.
  沒錯，那時候我請你幫忙照顧我的貓。

[18:50] Wasn't that your first experience with a cat?
  那不是你第一次接觸貓嗎？

[18:52] I wanted a cat when I was in college, but...
  我大學時就想要養貓，但是……

[18:54] He used to call me the cat lady, but look at him now.
  他以前常叫我貓女士，但看看他現在。

[18:58] He has six cats.
  他養了六隻貓。

[18:59] Six!
  六隻！

[19:04] Actually, since you're back, do you want to go to the State Fair?
  其實，既然你回來了，要不要去州博覽會看看？

[19:08] It's happening right now?
  現在正在舉辦嗎？

[19:09] Yes, it's happening right now.
  對，現在正在舉辦。

[19:10] Every year in North Carolina (NC), there's the NC State Fair.
  北卡羅來納州（NC）每年都會舉辦北卡州博覽會。

[19:15] People go there to eat, drink and have fun.
  人們去那裡吃喝玩樂。

[19:18] For all four years I lived here, I was invited, but I never went.
  我在這裡住的四年裡，雖然都被邀請過，但我從未去過。

[19:21] Since I have the chance this time, let's check out the NC State Fair.
  既然這次有機會，我們就去看看北卡州博覽會吧。

[19:30] We're here!
  我們到了！

[19:30] We're here!
  我們到了！

[19:32] Welcome to the State Fair.
  歡迎來到州博覽會。

[19:34] I can't believe we're here.
  真不敢相信我們到了這裡。

[19:36] Right?
  對吧？

[19:37] This is the 157th NC State Fair.
  這是第 157 屆北卡州博覽會。

[19:40] Can you believe it's been around for so long?
  你能相信它已經存在這麼久了嗎？

[19:43] I'm really thirsty right now.
  我現在真的很渴。

[19:45] If you had to recommend a drink, what would it be?
  如果你要推薦一種飲料，會是什麼？

[19:48] Southern iced tea, of course.
  當然是南方冰茶。

[19:50] You're in America, you're in the South, you have to drink some iced tea.
  你在美國，你在南方，你一定要喝點冰茶。

[19:56] It's so sweet.
  它太甜了。

[19:58] Welcome to America.
  歡迎來到美國。

[20:01] I'm glad to have the chance to immerse myself in the vibrant atmosphere of an American state fair.
  我很高興有機會沉浸在美國州博覽會充滿活力的氛圍中。

[20:08] Their tag line is, "There's no time like fair time."
  他們的標語是：「沒有什麼時光比博覽會時光更美好。」

[20:11] It's very suitable.
  這非常合適。

[20:12] State fairs are one of those unique experiences in the US.
  州博覽會是美國獨特的體驗之一。

[20:17] I regret not doing more things like this when I was in school.
  我後悔在學時沒有多參加這類活動。

[20:23] Thank you.
  謝謝。

[20:23] You got the baby to go with the mother.
  你讓寶寶和媽媽在一起了。

[20:25] Yes.
  是的。

[20:28] Are you enjoying your time so far?
  到目前為止你玩得開心嗎？

[20:31] Of course.
  當然。

[20:36] (Agricultural Products Exhibition)
  （農產品展覽）

[20:38] I had never been to the NC State Fair before, but I heard they hold all kinds of agricultural competitions here, like how heavy a pumpkin is or the quality of the apples.
  我以前從未去過北卡羅來納州博覽會，但我聽說這裡會舉辦各種農業競賽，比如南瓜的重量或蘋果的品質。

[20:49] Yes.
  是的。

[20:50] What I enjoyed most at the state fair was actually seeing the pumpkins and watermelons.
  我在州博覽會上最喜歡的其實是看南瓜和西瓜。

[20:55] I've always been really interested in agriculture.
  我一直對農業非常感興趣。

[20:59] So, I love things like that.
  所以我很喜歡這類事物。

[21:01] Look at these gigantic watermelons.
  看看這些巨大的西瓜。

[21:03] The one in the middle came in first place, weighing 112 kilograms.
  中間那個獲得了第一名，重達 112 公斤。

[21:07] Giant pumpkins.
  巨型南瓜。

[21:09] In first place, we have 2244.5 pounds (1018 kilograms).
  第一名是 2244.5 磅（1018 公斤）。

[21:19] (Food Area)

[21:20] We have lots of delicious food right here

[21:22] These are some of the iconic...

[21:25] must-try treats of the State Fair

[21:27] We have the turkey leg

[21:28] These are fried Oreos

[21:30] Time for a taste test

[21:37] Oreo-style youtiao

[21:39] Nicer than what I expected from a fried Oreo

[21:43] I feel like this is quintessential carnival food,

[21:46] the corn dog

[21:47] -You can only get these in the US -Yes, only in the US

[21:50] You can't get them in Singapore or Hong Kong

[21:55] So, how was your first experience?

[21:59] I think it was great

[22:01] It's not really about coming here for a specific food...

[22:04] or a specific game

[22:05] it's more about soaking up the atmosphere

[22:08] I actually do miss life in the US

[22:12] I'm grateful to have spent four years here

[22:15] It made me more well-rounded

[22:18] Coming back to Duke eight years after graduation feels heartwarming

[22:22] Meeting my old professors,

[22:24] Singaporean students...

[22:26] and fraternity brothers,

[22:28] I feel like everything I've experienced...

[22:31] has been passed down through this school

[22:40] Moving forward, I still hope to...

[22:42] dedicate myself to my passion...

[22:46] and thrive in the fields I love

[22:50] Subtitles: CaptionCube
