# 4 Tips to Future-Proof Your Career | The Way We Work, a TED series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7eMnAn_WhI
Translation: zh-CN

[00:00] How many jobs have you had?
  你做过多少份工作？

[00:02] How many do you expect to have over the course of your career?
  你预计在你的职业生涯中会有多少份工作？

[00:06] Well, the scary thing is that number has historically been around 12.
  嗯，可怕的是这个数字历史上大约是12份。

[00:08] But in the future, I predict it'll be closer to 20 or 30 or more.
  但在未来，我预测它会接近20或30甚至更多。

[00:15] And a lot of those jobs don't even exist yet.
  而且其中很多工作甚至还不存在。

[00:18] This future of work sounds overwhelming, especially when you take into account our old-fashioned system of resumes, job postings, and applicant tracking systems.
  这种工作的未来听起来令人不知所措，尤其是当你考虑到我们过时的简历、招聘信息和求职者追踪系统时。

[00:29] It's hard enough to navigate just a single career transition, but you're far more prepared than you think to navigate your next job change and all the ones that come after.
  仅仅应对一次职业转型就已经够难了，但你比你想象的要准备得更充分，能够应对你的下一次工作变动以及之后的所有变动。

[00:43] I'm Dr. Michelle Weiss, and I advise companies and educational institutions on how to prepare workers for successful and longer careers.
  我是米歇尔·韦斯博士，我为企业及教育机构提供咨询，指导如何帮助员工为成功且更长的职业生涯做好准备。

[00:54] Right now, I want to talk about how you can navigate that longer career, starting with your next job change.
  现在，我想谈谈你如何应对更长的职业生涯，从你的下一次工作变动开始。

[00:58] Number one.
  第一点。

[01:00] Highlight your human skills when we talk about skills we tend to focus on hard skills like coding, editing, data visualization, or budgeting.
  当我们谈论技能时，要突出你的人际技能，我们往往关注硬技能，比如编程、编辑、数据可视化或预算编制。

[01:11] But human skills need to share the spotlight too.
  但人际技能也需要分享关注。

[01:13] These are skills like adaptability, collaboration, exercising judgment, or mediating tense situations.
  这些技能包括适应能力、协作、运用判断力或调解紧张局势。

[01:21] They may not always show up in obvious ways on your resume, but they have enormous value.
  它们可能不会总是以明显的方式出现在你的简历上，但它们具有巨大的价值。

[01:26] To surface your human skills, make a timeline of all of your experiences, both personal and professional.
  要展现你的人际技能，制作一个你所有经历的时间线，包括个人和职业经历。

[01:33] Do you see patterns?
  你看到模式了吗？

[01:36] Have certain skills grown over time?
  某些技能是否随着时间的推移而增长？

[01:38] Maybe your stint as a barista made you a great team player or good at communicating in chaos.
  也许你当咖啡师的经历让你成为一个出色的团队合作者，或者善于在混乱中沟通。

[01:45] Or maybe your experience as a caregiver for a child or someone with special needs gave you strengths like patience or empathy, which informs how you design human-centered digital products or guide teams through a reorganization.
  或者，也许你作为儿童或有特殊需求者的看护者的经历给了你耐心或同理心等优势，这影响了你如何设计以人为本的数字产品或引导团队进行重组。

[01:57] Human skills are deeply transferable.
  人际技能具有很强的可转移性。

[01:59] You might surprise yourself by how prepared you are.
  你可能会惊讶于自己准备得多么充分。

[02:01] Already are for your next role second.
  已经为你的下一个角色准备好了第二步。

[02:05] Become a skills translator.
  成为一名技能翻译者。

[02:07] You need to translate your skills into the language of your prospective employer.
  你需要将你的技能翻译成未来雇主的语言。

[02:11] Research the industry you want to move into, because the same skill can have vastly different meanings depending on the context.
  研究你想要进入的行业，因为同样的技能根据上下文可能有截然不同的含义。

[02:20] For instance, when a marketing position is asking for a candidate who's strong in communication, they're usually looking for you to display storytelling or branding skills.
  例如，当一个市场营销职位要求候选人沟通能力强时，他们通常希望你展示讲故事或品牌塑造的技能。

[02:28] But when a behavioral health position mentions communication, it's likely the employer is looking for your experience with counseling or crisis management.
  但当行为健康职位提到沟通时，雇主很可能是在寻找你在咨询或危机管理方面的经验。

[02:36] Become their translator.
  成为他们的翻译者。

[02:40] Third, find data in discomfort at work.
  第三，在工作中从不适中找到数据。

[02:43] When do you feel uncomfortable?
  你什么时候感到不舒服？

[02:45] Maybe you feel out of depth when people bring up a new technology or platform.
  也许当人们提到新技术或平台时，你会感到力不从心。

[02:50] Or maybe someone at your current organization got the raise or promotion that you wanted.
  或者也许你当前组织中的某人得到了你想要的加薪或晋升。

[02:53] Pay attention to those signals.
  注意这些信号。

[02:56] That kind of discomfort is good.
  那种不适是好的。

[02:58] It's data telling you where you need to.
  它是告诉你需要去哪里（的数据）。

[03:01] Level up sign up for a course to get up to speed on that new platform or application.
  提升自己，报名参加课程，以快速掌握那个新平台或应用程序。

[03:05] Transform that discomfort around your skills gaps into action.
  将你对技能差距的不安转化为行动。

[03:08] Finally get picky.
  最后，变得挑剔。

[03:10] You shouldn't be the only one committed to your skill development.
  你不应该是唯一一个致力于自己技能发展的人。

[03:14] Your employer should be too.
  你的雇主也应该如此。

[03:15] The next time you change jobs, try to choose a company or organization that is building talent from within.
  下次换工作时，试着选择一家从内部培养人才的公司或组织。

[03:20] Look at LinkedIn and see if people have risen within the company.
  查看领英，看看人们是否在公司内部晋升。

[03:24] Ask during the interview whether there are clear roadmaps for internal advancement.
  在面试时询问是否有明确的内部晋升路线图。

[03:28] The reality is most companies have so much work to do when it comes to recognizing human skills, spotting talent in unexpected places, and cultivating the careers of their own employees.
  现实是，大多数公司在识别人类技能、在意外之处发现人才以及培养自己员工的职业生涯方面还有很多工作要做。

[03:37] You want an employer that takes the long view on your career and can help you fill your skills gaps on the job.
  你想要一个对你的职业生涯有长远眼光、并能帮助你在工作中填补技能差距的雇主。

[03:44] Even if the job market can feel broken at times, remember you can take control.
  即使就业市场有时感觉支离破碎，记住你可以掌控局面。

[03:51] You can steer the process.
  你可以引导这个过程。

[03:53] You can surface your hidden skills, translate your strengths.
  你可以发掘你隐藏的技能，转化你的优势。

[04:02] And level up your gaps you can show employers new ways to think about why they should hire you.
  提升你的技能差距，你可以向雇主展示新的思考方式，说明他们为何应该雇用你。

[04:10] And when you do all of those lane changes ahead will feel a whole lot less intimidating and maybe even a little exciting.
  当你做到所有这些时，前方的变道将不再那么令人生畏，甚至可能有点令人兴奋。
