# 3 Things I Wish I Knew When I Was Broke | Vivian Tu | TED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojk3QV5U5Jc
Translation: zh-CN

[00:04] Picture this.
  想象一下。

[00:04] You're 22.
  你22岁。

[00:07] You just moved to New York City and you're out at a bar with friends.
  你刚搬到纽约市，正和朋友在酒吧里。

[00:10] Couple of tequila shots, a lukewarm beer later, you go to the bartender to close out your tab.
  喝了几杯龙舌兰酒，又喝了一杯温吞的啤酒后，你去找酒保结账。

[00:18] But then, she says the three scariest words known to man.
  但接着，她说出了世上最可怕的三个词。

[00:25] Your card declined.
  你的卡被拒了。

[00:28] It feels like everyone in the bar overhears.
  感觉酒吧里的每个人都听到了。

[00:32] On one particular night out in 2016, I had to wait until 12:01 for the direct deposit from my paycheck to actually hit my bank account to be able to pay my bar tab.
  在2016年一个特别的晚上，我不得不等到凌晨12:01，才能收到我的工资直接存款到账，然后才能支付我的酒吧账单。

[00:46] At the time, I was living paycheck to paycheck.
  那时，我过着月月光的生活。

[00:48] And if I'm being honest, the embarrassment I felt that night would stay with me for years.
  如果我说实话，那天晚上我感到的尴尬会伴随我很多年。

[00:56] Even though I had a fancy job on Wall Street, my personal finances were a mess.
  尽管我在华尔街有一份体面的工作，但我的个人财务却一团糟。

[01:04] During the day, I would enact trades on
  白天，我会进行交易

[01:06] behalf of hedge funds worth billions of dollars.
  代表价值数十亿美元的对冲基金。

[01:08] And at night, I would go home and wonder if one more pad thai order would set me over the financial edge.
  晚上，我会回家，想知道再点一份泰式炒河粉是否会让我陷入财务困境。

[01:17] Sadly, this is not a unique experience.
  可悲的是，这并非独特的经历。

[01:22] Many young people still feel hopelessly lost when it comes to our money.
  许多年轻人仍然对我们的钱感到绝望。

[01:28] And this is in part due to the existing financial system.
  这在一定程度上是由于现有的金融体系造成的。

[01:33] Personal finance education is not taught K-12.
  个人理财教育并未在K-12阶段教授。

[01:37] The past five decades of policy implementation has led to a deep divide between the haves and the have-nots.
  过去几十年的政策实施导致了富人和穷人之间深刻的鸿沟。

[01:43] And if we're being honest, the financial services industry as it currently exists is really only set up and incentivized to help, well, the already wealthy.
  坦白说，现有的金融服务业实际上只为帮助那些已经富有的人而设立和激励。

[01:56] But here's where the story starts to get really good.
  但故事开始变得非常好的地方就在这里。

[02:01] There's never been a better time to get financially literate than right now.
  现在是提高金融素养的最佳时机。

[02:07] Knowledge that was once locked behind expensive advisors is available at your fingertips.
  曾经需要依靠昂贵的顾问才能获得的知识，现在触手可及。

[02:14] 10 years after bar night, I have become the financial educator I so desperately wish I had had back then.
  在酒吧之夜十年后，我成为了我当时多么渴望拥有的理财教育者。

[02:21] I built my career teaching financial literacy like a friend across social media.
  我通过社交媒体像朋友一样教授金融知识，以此建立了我的事业。

[02:26] And as it turns out, that boiled-down language and those silly jokes and those funny memes, they didn't make me any less credible.
  事实证明，那种精炼的语言、那些傻笑话和那些有趣的表情包，并没有降低我的可信度。

[02:35] But they sure did make me more understandable.
  但它们确实让我更容易被理解。

[02:40] What started as just videos on social media has turned into a podcast, not one but two books, and if all goes according to plan, a full-blown tech startup.
  最初只是社交媒体上的视频，现在已经发展成了一个播客，不止一本书，而是两本书，如果一切按计划进行，还将有一个成熟的科技初创公司。

[02:51] The financial world has finally opened its doors wide.
  金融世界终于敞开了大门。

[02:55] But here are the three things I wish I had known to do all those years ago when I was so desperately broke and wanted so desperately to be very, very rich.
  但我想告诉你们三件事，这是我多年前在我极度贫困并且极度渴望变得非常非常富有的时候，希望自己知道该怎么做的。

[03:07] One, learn the language, the financial language.
  一，学习语言，金融语言。

[03:11] Two, build community around money.
  二，围绕金钱建立社区。

[03:15] And three, find modern solutions for modern problems.
  三，为现代问题找到现代解决方案。

[03:20] So, let's dive into that first point.
  那么，让我们深入探讨第一点。

[03:22] It's safe to say learning finance really is like learning a new language.
  可以肯定地说，学习金融确实就像学习一门新语言。

[03:24] 401k, IRA, 529, APY, AGI.
  401k，IRA，529，APY，AGI。

[03:28] Hello, can someone please help me?
  你好，有人能帮帮我吗？

[03:36] But my ask of you is really simple.
  但我的请求真的很简单。

[03:40] Don't be afraid to be smart by looking dumb.
  不要害怕装傻来显得聪明。

[03:45] Ask what the words mean.
  问问这些词的意思。

[03:45] Don't be afraid to utilize resources like Investopedia or NerdWallet.
  不要害怕利用Investopedia或NerdWallet等资源。

[03:49] And most importantly, find a financial mentor that speaks your language.
  最重要的是，找到一位懂你的语言的财务导师。

[03:54] Someone who has the industry chops to back up those smarts.
  一位拥有行业实力来支撑其智慧的人。

[03:57] Someone who never promises you anything that's too good to be true.
  一位从不向你承诺过于美好的事情的人。

[04:01] And certainly someone who never gives you that weird feeling in the pit of your stomach.
  当然，一位从不让你感到胃里有奇怪感觉的人。

[04:08] Here are some of the ways that I have connected with people looking for financial guidance.
  以下是我与寻求财务指导的人们联系的一些方式。

[04:13] First off, I nicknamed Jerome Powell Fed Daddy to explain rates lowering.
  首先，我给杰罗姆·鲍威尔起了个绰号“美联储爸爸”，来解释降息。

[04:18] Fed Daddy just announced we're lowering interest rates and a lot of people don't even know what that means, much less what it means for them.
  美联储爸爸刚宣布我们要降息了，很多人甚至不知道那意味着什么，更不用说这对他们意味着什么了。

[04:24] Translating headlines into action items.
  将头条新闻转化为行动项目。

[04:27] The federal government didn't clock in today, but I did.
  联邦政府今天没有打卡上班，但我打了。

[04:29] So, here's how the government shutdown is going to impact you and your wallet.
  所以，政府关门将如何影响你和你的钱包。

[04:34] And even breaking down how celebs like Kendrick Lamar get rich and stay rich.
  甚至分析像肯德里克·拉马尔这样的名人如何致富并保持富有。

[04:39] Kendrick Lamar's family dancing in the Not Like Us music video wasn't just a clapback, it was a genius investment.
  肯德里克·拉马尔的家人在《Not Like Us》音乐视频中跳舞不仅仅是回击，更是一项天才的投资。

[04:45] When you understand the language, you understand what matters.
  当你理解了语言，你就理解了什么才是重要的。

[04:50] And the response to turning finance into fun-nance has been incredible.
  将金融变成“趣味金融”的反应令人难以置信。

[04:56] And this leads us into our second point.
  这引出了我们的第二点。

[04:58] While it's on financial educators to meet the next generation where and how they already live, it's on the next generation to build their own financial community.
  虽然金融教育者有责任在下一代已经生活的地方和方式上与他们见面，但下一代有责任建立自己的金融社区。

[05:09] For years, we have been told talking about money is rude, tacky, taboo.
  多年来，我们一直被告知谈论金钱是粗鲁、庸俗、禁忌的。

[05:16] But uh the last time I checked, Bob and Steve seem to have no problem trading investment tips as they're teeing off at hole three.
  但上次我查了一下，鲍勃和史蒂夫在打三号洞时似乎毫不犹豫地交换投资建议。

[05:26] It turns out it's really only a faux pas when when we do it.
  事实证明，这真的只是在我们这样做的时候才显得失礼。

[05:31] It's time to change that.
  是时候改变了。

[05:33] I, like so many young people, clock in daily for a full shift at the looking at my phone factory.
  我和许多年轻人一样，每天都要在“看手机工厂”全班打卡。

[05:42] And whether you spend all of your time scrolling TikTok or reading Reddit threads, it's clear.
  无论你是花所有时间刷抖音还是看Reddit帖子，都很清楚。

[05:48] Having conversations around money takes the power away from the people up top and gives it back to us.
  围绕金钱的对话将权力从高层手中夺走，并还给了我们。

[05:57] The internet has led to the creation of spaces like Fishbowl and Glassdoor where people can share true, real numbers, honest struggles, and genuine victories without shame or judgment.
  互联网催生了像Fishbowl和Glassdoor这样的平台，人们可以在那里分享真实、实际的数字，诚实的困境和真实的胜利，而无需感到羞耻或受到评判。

[06:07] And frankly,
  坦白说，

[06:09] Many of these conversations are still too raw to be had IRL.
  其中许多对话仍然过于敏感，无法在现实生活中进行。

[06:15] This online anonymity is empowering people to work together with their digital accountability buddies to make smarter financial choices.
  这种在线匿名性使人们能够与他们的数字问责伙伴一起做出更明智的财务选择。

[06:25] And my hope is that as this generation gets more comfortable creating community around money talk, the generation after us, they're going to grow up seeing money discussed so openly and authentically that they will enter adulthood with a level of financial confidence that their parents could have only dreamed of.
  我希望随着这一代人越来越习惯于围绕金钱话题建立社群，我们之后的那一代人，他们将会在成长过程中看到金钱被如此公开和真实地讨论，从而以一种他们的父母只能梦想的财务信心进入成年。

[06:47] And speaking of the future, you've probably heard the phrase modern problems require modern solutions.
  说到未来，你可能听过“现代问题需要现代解决方案”这句话。

[06:52] It's never been more true.
  这句话从未如此真实过。

[06:54] If I'm not getting a pension like my dad, and I can't make a household's ends meet on one income like my dad, and I certainly don't plan on working the same job for 40 years like my dad, why am I taking my dad's financial advice, or worse, using my dad's
  如果我得不到像我父亲那样的养老金，我无法像我父亲那样靠一份收入维持家庭生计，而且我当然不打算像我父亲那样为同一份工作工作40年，为什么我要听我父亲的财务建议，或者更糟的是，使用我父亲的

[07:12] Financial advisor?
  财务顾问？

[07:14] My dad doesn't actually look like that, by the way.
  顺便说一句，我爸爸actually不像那样。

[07:17] He's going to be so mad if I don't say that.
  如果我不这么说，他会非常生气的。

[07:18] Sorry, Dad.
  对不起，爸爸。

[07:19] Robo-advisors are making sophisticated investment strategies accessible to everyone.
  机器人顾问正在使复杂的投资策略对每个人都变得易于获取。

[07:25] Online banks are offering competitive rates without the burden of the overhead of brick-and-mortar branches.
  在线银行提供有竞争力的利率，而无需承担实体分支机构的运营成本负担。

[07:32] And innovative apps are turning complex financial tasks into simple, actionable things that you can do from the palm of your hands.
  创新的应用程序正在将复杂的金融任务转化为你可以从手中完成的简单、可操作的事情。

[07:41] These new platforms are just as regulated and licensed, and more often than not, they offer lower fees.
  这些新平台同样受到监管和许可，而且它们通常收费更低。

[07:47] And it's not just startup hubs or VCs that are taking notice.
  不仅是创业中心或风险投资公司注意到了这一点。

[07:52] Creators and educators are now turning into founders.
  创作者和教育者现在正在转型为创始人。

[07:56] For my story, what started as just content has turned into an app powered by AI working in conjunction with certified human experts to provide guidance in plain English like a friend, and more importantly, continues to educate first and foremost.
  就我的故事而言，最初只是内容的东西已经变成了一个由人工智能驱动的应用程序，该应用程序与认证的人类专家协同工作，以朋友般的清晰英语提供指导，更重要的是，它始终将教育放在首位。

[08:13] New age financial brands aren't just a replacement for traditional financial services, they're purpose-built for the way we live now.
  新时代金融品牌不仅仅是传统金融服务的替代品，它们是为我们现在的生活方式量身定制的。

[08:23] Designed to help you save smarter, invest easier, and build wealth faster than ever before.
  旨在帮助您更智能地储蓄，更轻松地投资，并以前所未有的速度积累财富。

[08:30] The future of finance isn't coming, it's already here.
  金融的未来并非即将到来，它已经在这里。

[08:32] And it's working for us.
  而且它正在为我们服务。

[08:36] So, to wrap us up, a decade has passed since my horrific bar tab incident.
  所以，总结一下，自从我那次可怕的酒吧账单事件以来已经过去十年了。

[08:42] And I so desperately wish I could go back in time and provide past Vivian with some of the solutions available to today Vivian now.
  我多么希望我能回到过去，为过去的薇薇安提供一些现在薇薇安可以获得的解决方案。

[08:52] This shift towards financial accessibility isn't just changing individual lives, it's building an ecosystem where everyone has a fair shot at prosperity.
  这种向金融可及性转变的趋势不仅改变了个人的生活，它正在建立一个让每个人都有机会获得繁荣的生态系统。

[09:02] And my dream is that a decade from now, the evolution in financial education will mean there are fewer declined credit cards at bar night, a shrinking wealth gap, and a financial future that is brighter
  我的梦想是，从现在起十年后，金融教育的进步将意味着酒吧之夜被拒绝的信用卡会减少，贫富差距缩小，以及一个更光明的金融未来。

[09:16] than ever.
  比以往任何时候都重要。

[09:17] Thank you.
  谢谢你。

[09:18] [applause]
  [掌声]
